We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Censorship of Social Media

DrATty

Likes # 0

It looks as though the government would like to censor social media sites, or even shut them down, during times of civil unrest. It seems only yesterday that the same people were saying how dreadful similar acts were in Egypt and Libya. I wonder whether the UK is really a free country today, and whether anyone will fight for the freedoms we still have. A few misbehave, many suffer.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

They have seen the future of the revolution and as usual what is good for others is not good for us.The social networks being at the forefront of change in Tunisia and Egypt has initiated a somewhat hypocritical response from our own Government.

The reports of the Blackberry phone being used is similar to Chinese concerns as to accessing text messages.

Plenty of people will defend what we have but can the rest be bothered.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 1

I'd accept your point if any such law was passed,, but at the moment it's just hot air and likely to be dropped when things cool down.

Effective policing from the start and good intelligence would have nipped the riots in the bud without any further laws being passed.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

"proceed with a good deal of care",

He is not discounting some form of legislation but ,being a politician, he is not committing himself ,especially in public,to making an outright statement of intent.

I doubt whether "intelligence" would have been effective given the spontaneous nature of the riots.In the latter stages some form of intel would have led to a decision but initial analysis may have led to a different conclusion.

Like this post
DrATty

Likes # 0

I am uncomfortable with any interference. Maybe networks will not be cut off but being spied upon is bad enough. Saudi Arabia threatened to cut off RIM devices because they.couldn't see what was bring said. I wonder what deal was made there to change the minds of those in power. Perhaps I'd see it differently if my house had been burned down, but I think oresome hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of laws and powers now. If they aren't used, new ones won't help.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

What about e-mails, instant messaging, chat rooms, forums such as this, mobile phones themselves?

Are they going to shut them all down?

Typical soundbite knee jerk reaction for a bit of publisity.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

"There are plenty of laws"

yes that is the case but i think that is not the point.

The creation of new laws gives the public the idea that action is being taken,we have laws on the statute books that go back centuries,non if any have been repealed,so they are still valid today and that does not include by-laws.

With the new technologies presently available new interpretations or new laws will be be introduced that accommodate those new "realities".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features