We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

different increases on same pay ballot sheet - correct?

mehim
Resolved

Likes # 0

My Union has just sent around ballot sheets with different offers for different positions. eg chairman 2%, secretary 1.5, clerk 1%. I feel that morally this is wrong because if I vote no for my increase I am also voting against someone elses. Also there are more clerks than chairmen (positions changed to protect the innocent). Conversely, if it was the same increase across the board it'feels' OK.

Morals and feelings aside, is it legally correct?

They have been asked but I am interested in others views. Thank You

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

"if it was the same increase across the board it 'feels' OK"

No it does not - that increases the differential between top and bottom pay scales. Better to go for a flat value increase eg £1 an hour.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Don't worry about it and carry on.

They probably forgot to mention the fat bonus that the chairman gets plus the free company car etc.etc.

Some Rail workers have just turned down a 5% rise because they do not think it is enough and I have to agree with them.

Inflation somewhere near 4.5% so you should be looking for that or above.

if you are happy with 25 go for it.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Thanks Folks but I am asking about the legality of having different increases on the sam ballot sheet, the chairman does not exist and it is an example only.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Not sure about legality, but from a balloting point of view it's not totally clear.

The grade that's entitled to 2% may be happy, but a person at a grade getting 1% may not.

The different pay increases may well be down to equalising pay across similar job roles.

Last year my wife received a 5% increase to bring her pay in line with someone doing the same job in a different department

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Morals and feelings aside, is it legally correct?

The answer to your question is yes.

Like this post  
mehim

Likes # 0

Thanks FE,

Have also asked the union.

I still doesn't seem right that my vote may change the outcome of someone with a differnt offer or the reverse,which happened to me.

I was offered a mere one fifth of that presented to others in my workforce. They voted yes and we were outnumbered as all others on my level all voted no, at least if the Ballot had been seperate the extent of our feelings would have been known.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Presumeably,

You're not being asked to vote for/against the raise that you have been offered, rather you are being asked to vote for the negotiated offer as a whole...

So the actual yes/not vote is on the question; "Do you accept the offer that has been negotiated?"

And then there is an explanation of what the offer is, with a breakdown of the parts.

If my assumption/understanding is correct, (and of course it may not be!), then I can't see anything wrong, legally or morally.

That's not to say that the offer is correct or moral, just that the vote is!

Regards,

SImsy

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

That's not to say that the offer is correct or moral, just that the vote is!

Well said Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone