We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing Times (Again!)

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Giving myself a good helping of smoked salmon, less than £2 for half a pound, on a sandwich this evening I reflected, not for the first time, on changed times.

When I was younger smoked salmon, a single transparently thin slice, was reserved for those on top table at a wedding reception, and a pretty well-to-do wedding at that.

Now I’ve usually got a couple of packets in the freezer!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Stuff we take for granted today was a rarity a few years ago.

However it also works the other way, what happened to peace and quiet?

Like this post
nangadef

Likes # 0

As far as I'm concerned it can stay on the top table - I can't stand the stuff!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

There was a time that University education was only for the very wealthy and now it's, sorry was for those with the talent but we are going back to the wealthy again.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

like lobster was used to feed slaves in the USA & WI now its only for the well off.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Yes but on the other hand I can't find mutton in my butchers to make the stew my granny made in WW2, nor what she called breast of lamb - in fact fatty bits of mutton brisket. Horse meat stained green to feed the dog is also a bit scarce, as are rabbits in most non rural butchers, so some you win, some you lose.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Obviously depends on area.

Mutton is available in my local farm shop, and any of the local butchers can get us a shoulder or two (we normally get two) within a day or so any time we ask. Same with rabbits, wild or Chinese.

Breast of lamb available in most local supermarkets' butchery counters.

We do have a sudden dearth of wild boar though, disappeared about a year ago.

Local abattoir problems I believe.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Indeed, it was a luxury, I remember my first taste. served with thin brown bread and lemon......I was addicted at once, only the "No Oily Fish" edict due to my health prevents me from indulging now.

One recipe for all......(More of a part thing) get some high quality cream cheese and half a side of Smoked Salmon.

Cut the fish into strips wide enough to put a half teaspoon of the cheese in the middle of the strip.

Roll the strip up, and secure with a toothpick.

Beats cheese and pineapple!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I prefer the hot smoked salmon myself.

In the '60s, chicken was a Sunday lunch luxury, now they're an everyday cheapie feast from the supermarket rotisserie.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

How that takes me back...I'm in that kind of mood just now, but I must admit, I have never tried hot smoked salmon.

Don't know why, i suppose it's just because i first had it cold, and was thus thereafter,

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hot smoked refers to the smoking method used, although you can heat it in a pan like kippers and eat the fish hot. It's also quite thick compared to the wafer thin cold smoked variety.

Hot/cold smoking

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......