We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Red Arrow crashes at Bournemouth Air Festival

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Description of events at plane crash More news later on condition of pilot, etc. TC.

Like this post
Paddy

Likes # 0

What a pathetic shower of wingers we have on here. Most have never served in HM armed forces, others may have but do not have a clue about the Royal Air Force, You have the good fotune to live in a wonderful country, protected by the very best armed forces in the world, they have managed to carry out their duties of protecting you and this country for hundreds of years, without the help!! and advice from the likes of you. Either step up to the plate and sign on or retire to a corner in your SAFE home and say a prayer of thanks for some of the worlds finest. And the answer to your next question is. Yes I served in the Royal Air Force for 12 years as an aircraft engineer.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Nice one Paddy. Spoken from the heart - not the brain;-)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Paddy - in that case you may have fixed stuff I flew during my 30 yrs service!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Fixed stuff? Fixed stuff?

Are you referring to the white hot technology and the dedicated application of skill of hand and razor sharp expertise ("Tap lightly with a 14lb sledge" - direct quote from an armourers' maintenance manual!) which we invariably applied without complaint to the highly complex engineering masterpieces which the aircrew kept breaking?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Torque wrench, nah. Keep tightening until it shears then back half a turn!

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

From what I'm told the RA displays themselves incur a varying fee from each venue organisers, which can be quite considerable I hear. This obviously helps towards their expenses but I suspect no-way near their full costs, unless someone knows differently of course.

My point here is that the Red Arrows displays are not free, as I suspect some here may think they are. TC.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If we are going off subject about cost, then how does £5.4billion for scrapping the Nimrods and early withdrawal of the Harrier stand?.

The MOD seem to have a very large expenditure list when it comes to giving away public money. Here's a few to think about: £1.7million provided to Uganda for body armour and helmets, £1.7million for a warhead that crashed at a secret base in America, which caused a large amount of damage,£2.4million for the repair of HMS Astute after it ran aground, £120million for axing a top secret nuclear research base in favour of joining the French.

The list is endless, including £1.7million for a legal battle over furniture, and £500.000 that was written off due to a scam scheme that paid for children of military families attending private school education.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

TopCat

It has been said that in a BBC documentary in 2011 the team manager quoted the charge as £9000 - which in the scheme of things is peanuts compared to their annual running costs.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

As I believed would happen, the Red Arrows will display tomorrow in Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Happy take offs and landings to all of 'em. TC.

Lift off again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings