We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Red Arrow crashes at Bournemouth Air Festival

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Description of events at plane crash More news later on condition of pilot, etc. TC.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

ams4127

We'll have no more of your 'FACT' posts that are substantiated by "my source is private" thank you.

In due course the real facts will be made public, but until that happens I think we should call a halt to the disclosure of information that can't be verified. Once more, and for the last time, please respect our right to decide what can and what can't be posted in our forum.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Fair enough.

I trust you will apologise when the facts which I have stated are proved to be correct.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

ams4127

I'll not be apologising for anything - you're either completely missing the point, or you're deliberately ignoring it. Please let this go, and respect my earlier request. It has nothing whatever to do with whether you're right or wrong, and everything to do with keeping your thoughts to yourself.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Moving to a slightly different tack, though they are flying again, there is no word of when they will display again.

Will the MoD consider this the chance they have been looking for to disband the Reds?

They are very expensive and of no strategic significance.

While they are good for Royal Air Force and British publicity and PR, with cuts and more resources to the front line the order of the day, the faceless ones might see this as a one off opportunity.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When we talk about the cost of flying the Red Arrows, I suppose its just like flying an aged Vulcan, that seems to keep running out of funds?.

At least the Red Arrows are a good PR exercise world-wide?.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

The RAs are returning to RAF Scampton tomorrow, weather permitting. They will resume flying displays in an eight plane configuration for the time being.

I believe it will be some considerable time before we know the cause of the tragic loss of Red Four, so I will close this for now. TC.RAs return to base TC.

Like this post  
Al94

Likes # 0

"A defence source had said it was "extremely unlikely" the Red Arrows would do any more displays this year."

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member - I was agreeing with you until I came to your last para which I feel is open to misinterpretation. These pilots are good enough to fly combat missions, have flown on them, and are some of the best pilots. I think the underlying message is that these are typical RAF pilots and have a very high standard. It is also a flag waving opportunity.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

There is no (and never has been) 'a strategic message to a potential enemy'. The Reds are the RAF's public face and help to offset negative press about low-flying etc. Are the pilots any good? Ask those who fail to make the grade each year!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. Directly from the Red's website yesterday

'In the absence of any critical safety recommendations in the Service Inquiry’s initial report the precautionary suspension of Hawk T1 flying activity has been lifted and flying operations have been resumed. The Red Arrows aircraft will fly back to RAF Scampton tomorrow (Friday 26 August 2011). In preparation for the resumption of public displays the Red Arrows will begin flying eight ship formation display practices starting on 30 August 2011. Display flying by the Red Arrows team, in an eight ship formation, will recommence subject to a successful period of consolidation and approval to display. As part of their display season preparation the Red Arrows practice displays with eight aircraft so that a display can go ahead if a pilot is unable to fl'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes