We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Red Arrow crashes at Bournemouth Air Festival

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Description of events at plane crash More news later on condition of pilot, etc. TC.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Pine Man

The choice would be to eject rather than crash into a field. Have you ever flown as aircrew?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have flown fixed wing and rotary though not as part of an aircrew but I'm not sure about the relevance of that.

I was merely pointing out that whenever, usually light, aircraft come down the tabloid press always seem to want to credit the pilot as being a hero doing his best to avoid a built up housing area before crashing. Clearly, in most cases, we'll never know what was in the pilots mind but if he can't eject or bail common sense suggests that he will avoid buildings to give him the best chance of surviving.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I was detailed on a crash recovery a good few years ago in Wisbech after a Harrier had gone down and demolished a house.

We were desperately scrabbling through the rubble looking for a child who, we had been told, was in the house.

Not a pleasant experience as I'm sure you can imagine.

Suddenly a voice shouted out telling us to be careful when we found the electricity meter as it was a valuable item.

That man was lucky to escape with his life.

The child? Oh yes, we found her. And grown men cried.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mordwydd

"I think you're being a bit restrictive here FE."

Fair comment, but there's a reason for it. I know for a fact that when there's an accident like this members of the dead person often surf the web, looking for reports and mention of their loved one. I was once contacted by someone on behalf of the wife of a man who had been killed in an incident about which there had been speculation in the forum. She had stumbled across our thread, and had been hurt and offended by some speculation that her husband had in some way contributed to the accident.

I felt for her, and resolved that in future I would deter such theorising immediately after the event, no matter how informed people might think they were. Nobody here has knowledge of what caused this particular aircraft to crash, but what we say is going to come high in the Google search - just type "Red Arrow crashes at Bournemouth Air Festival" and you'll see us on the first page.

Restrictive? Maybe a little, but experience has shown that not everyone here acknowledges the need to consider the sensitivities of others so soon after the event.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Point taken

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

With a certain amount of inside knowledge.......Full Hydraulics failure.

But it is just a populist theory at the moment.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There I am, asking for restraint with regards to speculation, and what is the result? A detailed (now deleted) post full of speculation.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

I hope they still go ahead with their displays. We were lucky enough to move just down the road from RAF Scampton and regularly see them practicing their routines.

We seem to move near to air force bases as our last house was 4 miles from RAF Leeming. In the 80' and 90's watching the Vulcan's land and take off was a glorious sight.

My sincere condolences to the family of Flight ­Lieutenant Jon Egging.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow