We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Red Arrow crashes at Bournemouth Air Festival

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Description of events at plane crash More news later on condition of pilot, etc. TC.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Very sad, my thoughts go out to his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14602900

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I would not be suprised if GLOC is the reason for this acciden"

Current anti-G suits are very efficient, and since they were reportedly returning to land high g manoeuvres are unlikely at this point

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A terrible tragedy for the pilot and his family. My aunt lives at Throop and thinks maybe he stayed with the plane to ensure it missed the built up area nearby.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Let's not have any further speculation on the possible cause of this accident.

The dead pilot's family will be suffering enough without people surmising as to the cause of his death.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

My condolences to the family of this pilot, who it would seem suffered some kind of hydraulic / engine failure.

Hawks have been flying since 1972 if memory serves me correctly, and the high performance acrobatic displays performed by the Red Arrows are a joy to behold.

They are a fantastic team of highly skilled fast jet pilots, hand picked...And to be selected for the team is the highest of honours.

A tragedy indeed.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

"Let's not have any further speculation on the possible cause of this accident. "

I think you're being a bit restrictive here FE.

While there should be no public speculation about actionable causes, e.g. technical failure, servicing or pilot error etc. nor idle sensationalist speculation, there will be speculation by knowledgeable people with some background, going on in crew rooms and other places all over the country, including, if experience is anything to go by, among the pilot's family and friends.

For instance, the footage I saw showed that the aircraft was "making smoke" all the way down to the ground. That would indicate to a lot of people on this forum that the engine was still "turning and burning" since the smoke depends on hot (400 deg+) exhaust gases.

That is not speculation, but informed opinion, though still just opinion, at long range and with no direct knowledge of th event.

The speculation you get here, on this and many other subjects, is often more informed than that which appears in the press!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Having only just retired after some 15 years working on the Hawk T1 and T1a aircraft at a well known Welsh airfield, I will be very circumspect in what I say here.

As morddwyd says, the aircraft was still making smoke which indicates that the engine was still working and supplying both thrust and hydraulic power to the flight control systems.

It is within the last year that the Hawk fleet was grounded because of cracks being found in the top fittings on the ejector seats. Had those seats been fired, they would not have worked.

The pilot did not appear to have made any severe control movements in the last few seconds of flight. Apart from the possible incapacity of the pilot there is a mechanical reason which could have given the same symptoms. Since this is still an ongoing investigation, I will say no more.

I have worked on aircraft from 1964 to 1994 in the RAF and as a civilian from 1995 to 2011. In that time I have known many of the display pilots, from the absolute mad men in the Lightnings, to the ultimate precision of the Red Arrows. My admiration for them is boundless and I deeply mourn those who pay the ultimate price.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Amen to that.

Those guys are so good that when they were practising before a display we rarely even even looked up as, paradoxically, they were so good as to be boring!

However, as I've posted before, when giving a "private" i.e. just for us, display they've had me, and my boss, running for the crash wagon.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

morddwyd

A bit like the trainee pilots at Cranwell then. Became rather boring until 'something spectacular' happened!.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

The press love to talk about heroic pilots 'steering' the aircraft away from villages etc. Of course they do - it's far easier to put a stricken aircraft on to the ground in a field rather than on buildings!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'