We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Red Arrow crashes at Bournemouth Air Festival

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Description of events at plane crash More news later on condition of pilot, etc. TC.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

The team gave an evening display here in Cornwall at the Fowey Regatta last Thursday. We watched from a prime spot anchored just outside the mouth of the river in the son-in-law's boat.

The team gave a very restricted display because of reduced visibility, dull conditions and low cloud. They were flying so low down the river at one point that I became worried one or more of the many frightened gulls wheeling about in the sky could have been close enough to be sucked into an engine. I think Red Leader may have noticed them as well because their passes became much higher than before!

No doubt these Hawk display aircraft are maintained to an exceptionally high standard btu even so I think maybe the team perform too many daily displays, especially at this time of year.

What's your opinion on this? TC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think it's good training for the pilots. Unfortunately things happen. Hope the pilot's OK.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Unconfirmed reports that the pilot was dragged from a river by passers by, but no official "pilot ejected safely" which isn't good.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

There's a photo in the Mail on-line showing a crashed plane in a field with the following statement "An RAF Red Arrows pilot was killed today when an aerobatic display plane crashed after performing at an air show in Bournemouth"

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Just my opinion on what I've seen so far, but I think the plane developed an engine malfunction and the pilot tried to recover from it. Why he didn't eject remains a mystery but I think he was probably just too low.

All this is supposition I know and the facts will be released in due course. In the meantime I expect the RAs to be grounded until this inquiry has concluded and its findings known.

What a tragic loss of a team mate in the prime of his life. My sympathies go to them and to the young man's family. TC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The footage I saw indicated that the pilot had plenty of time to eject.

No reports of houses in the area, I wonder if he was incapacitated, or the seat failed?

Aside from the devastation to his family, a worrying time for the seat engineers.

My last tour was in charge of a ejection seat servicing bay (Lossiemouth) and if you lost an aircraft plus a pilot you were sick to your stomach until the reports came in (not the official enquiry, but the blokes on the ground at the scene).

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

TopCat® the ejection seat is zero/zero.

Rather than speculate I think we will have to wait for the accident investigators to report.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Speculation is inevitable, having seen the video I would not be suprised if GLOC is the reason for this accident http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-LOC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...