We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you doing your bit for recycling ?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am, but apparently failing.

Over the past month or so, we have tried to get rid of about one thousand once used good clean jiffy bags of various sizes, mainly 180mm X 245mm size. The recycling depot or the charities do not want them.

Large supply of timber offcuts, which nobody wants, unless we transport for free.

Newspapers and magazines or catalogues. Not much worldwide demand!.

The list of no wants seems to be on the increase.

Even going to our local Council's contracted out recycling depot, with a towed trailer exceeding 4'00" x 4'00" as to be weighed as possible commercial waste, unless you have a special permit for the trailer.

Are you helping the world by recycling all your unwanted items, and having no problems doing so?.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On the subject of recycling.

These new 'Energy saving bulbs' apparantly are not supposed to go into either general rubbish or Recycling bins.

Where do they go when then give up the ghostly light they emit.

Yes- If you want to make a joke answer, I can take it.

Terry

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

Our recycling centre has a secure bin for fluorescent tubes, energy saving bulbs will go in there, because they're the same technology (proper name is Compact Fluorescent Lamp)

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Plastic bottles, cans, glass bottles, cardboard, paper. Hardly half a rubbish bin full these days. Oh, and weeds and other garden waste I don't want to compost.

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Here in Finistere, Brittany :- Black sack to landfill, bugger all goes in it. Glass to bottle bank. Everything else ie recyclable into yellow sack. No problems and we pay €85 per annum.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My brother, Billy, who now lives alone over in Port Laois, Southern Ireland, buries all his rubbish in his back garden; he says it saves him about 100 euros a year. Some people do the strangest things!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I have been doing so since the scheme started here in Cardiff, despite having 3 different bags in which to place various items.

A month ago, the council stated that they would no longer collect re-cycled bags unless they were placed at the kerbside 1 hour prior to collection (which nobody knows exactly)

The bags from the past month have remained uncollected, and my neighbours and I have contacted the environmental health dept. to sort this out.

Collecting the bags from the area designated requires the operative to walk 6 (yes 6) feet from the curb.

If they don't resolve it, it's all going in a black bag from now on.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have just returned from my local recycling centre AKA 'the dump' to deposit some of the contents of the spare bedroom - the still working but soon to be redundant analogue TV's. The large lorry sized 'TV' skip was about half-full of an assortment of various ancient sets some of which look good enough for the antiques roadshow.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wiz-king - I will have to follow your example and do a major clear out.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more