We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long do you expect your current computer to last

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have had this Sony Vaio for four and a half years, I haven't changed any hardware, but I have installed Windows 7 over Vista which was originally loaded. It runs smoothly and is quick. I am sure that my old computers were nowhere near as good as that. Are we now equating computer life the same as televisions? which are definitely lasting longer and more efficient. Technological advancement is a marvellous thing. Is the only reason we need to change simply to keep up with the latest gadget?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

My netbook is a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 and it's pretty sturdy, I bought mine refurbished last June, I think it was a year old then based on the Dell Tag number, so it's 28 months old now and showing no signs of wear.

http://www.notebookforums.com/t/228820/dell-mini-10-aka-inspiron-1010-review

You can buy them refurbished from quite a few places...

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

My PC is and always has been much akin to 'Triggers Broom' so it will last forever.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Laptop HP Omnibook 6100 approx 10yrs old, Win2k pro and only 256Mb ram but I need it for the DOS software that requires the serial port and floppy drive. All original parts and still looks in immaculate condition even though its used in some dirty environments (locomtive engine rooms).

Desktop is a 6.5yr old Medion running XP, still as fast as the day I got it. Extra SATA drive + Floppy drive added, only failures were the two optical drives (now only have the one).

No urge to build a new one as get several machines to repair each year so am use to Vista and W7 to a point.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best camera phone of 2015: iPhone 6 Plus vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 vs One M9 vs Nexus 6

IDG UK Sites

In defence of BlackBerrys

IDG UK Sites

Why we should reserve judgement on Apple ditching Helvetica in OS X/iOS for the Apple Watch's San...

IDG UK Sites

Retina 3.3GHz iMac 27in preview: Apple cuts £400 of price of Retina iMac with new model