We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long do you expect your current computer to last

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have had this Sony Vaio for four and a half years, I haven't changed any hardware, but I have installed Windows 7 over Vista which was originally loaded. It runs smoothly and is quick. I am sure that my old computers were nowhere near as good as that. Are we now equating computer life the same as televisions? which are definitely lasting longer and more efficient. Technological advancement is a marvellous thing. Is the only reason we need to change simply to keep up with the latest gadget?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2, if that was the case I would have been disqualified years ago ;o}

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Until either a major component fails, or the OS is too ancient for the newer software.

Now that we have fairly compact kit, I use a 17" laptop, (that's how they described it, but it like having a bag of cement on your knee!), as a main desktop, I have no reason to change with the current trends.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

We have 3 PC's in the house that tend to get upgraded every 18 months, the way I do it is to upgrade my PC and put the old mobo, CPU and memory into my sons PC, then his old parts are then put into my daughters PC.

That way even my daughter who doesn't play graphic intensive games has a half decent PC.

Graphic cards are another thing all together, they get replaced every 2 years in both mine and my sons PC's, cases are replaced as needed.

So I suppose we have the same as amonra has said, only we have 3 of Trigger's brooms.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro bought early 2007, apart from a full system reinstall earlier this year it's untouched and running fine.

I've a Dell netbook that is used when travelling (my phone can act as a wifi hotspot for internet on the go) and it's fine for basic email, facebook, photo backup for my camera, so will last for years as it's far better built than most netbooks.

My partner's PC was bought in April this year, it's an Acer with a Core i3 processor, I've no idea how long it will last, but only cost £350, so if we get a couple or years out of it I'll be reasonably happy. Her last PC is still running, but it's dog slow even though it's a 3ghz Athlon with 2gb RAM running XP

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I keep thinking that I would like to change my Dell Dimension 9100 now around 7 years old for a new machine with an updated operating system but it keeps working fine and XP does all that I ask of it. I have upgraded the monitor to a Benq. However I did delve into the case for first time last week and removed a significant amount of accumulated dust and fluff, surprising where it all come from.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Evesham Axis 64 purchased Oct 05 and still going strong. Almost wish it would die so i can justify a shiny new W7 machine (would cut down on mixed OS home network issues, as well) but it chugs on handling photoshop, dirty great big access databases, dreamweaver...basically, whatever I throw at it.

Still, nothinh lasts forever and I have increased the frequency of my backup routines :-)

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Barring any major failures, at current configuration, my 4 year old Vista desktop should last several more years. It shows no signs of old age and appears to be just as fast as it was when I bought it. However I did get the release candidate of W7 and subsequently had to install Vista so that probably cleared out a lot 2 years ago (By heck - was it that long ago???)

I say "at current configuration" because the only thing that appears to make older computers fail is the constant OS updates.

For example at work we had 1.7mhz PCs with 256MB or 512MB RAM running Windows XP absolutely fantastic - back in the year ???? whenever it was. Over the years with 3 Service Packs, security updates, IE6 upgrades through to IE7, despite an upgrade to 2GB RAM, they have had to be replaced.

Hopefully, Operating Systems have settled down for a bit - taking into account the processing power available, it now seems to be fairly stable in that W7 would run on a 2 year old PC whereas XP probably wouldn't have run very well on a W98 vintage PC. If you know what I mean.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

How long depends on the use you want to put it to.

I have an old Pentium 2, running win 2000, that is used for office duties (Word & Excel ( Office XP)), with no problems, I do not use the internet on it, so there is no problems with updates / viruses and that has ben going steady for about 14 years.

My wife uses a pentium 3 with a 1.8 athlon processorrunning XP home and 1gb memory for office duties and surfing the internet and that is about 9 years old.

My current one is a athlon 3000+ with 3 gb memory (XP Pro) and is used for video & photographic work amd I have no plans to replace it until either it breaks down or it will not do what I want it to.

So the answer is , until the compabilities of the machine are less that the work you want it to do.

Terry

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

As I build my own and passing on my old (not very)to my better half I am always on the lookout for new kit, another site I use lets its members once established to buy and sell amongst themselves and there is many a bargain to be had. Just got one of theseGadget which is in pristine condition and I am on the look out for a bigger SSD and upgrading my graphics card.

But generally a PC will last me a couple of years before I get the itch to build another

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

My first desktop (Compaq Presario) lasted me perhaps 6mths before I yearned to upgrade it and found it didn't even have an AGP slot for the newly purchased graphics card so sold it & bought new motherboard/CPU/RAM bundle for the graphics card(rather than return the card & lose £12 as I'd opened the packaging)This machine was upgraded frequently until SATA came along so I built a new PC & gave the older one to my daughter.When SATA II came along,I bought a new PC & daughter got the older one(which is still running perfectly)yet my new machine has been replaced under warranty twice before finally running flawlessly for the past 2yrs.It was a top-spec custom build and the only change has been upgrading to Win7 from Vista,it does all I require including running top-end games,occasional video edits and burning music CD's/DVD's.I dont anticipate changing it for quite some years,unless it croaks.

I also have a laptop,which was the highest spec I could find when bought 2-3yrs ago.The only change with it from shop spec has been upgrading it to Win7 as its more powerful than my previous desktop.It does need a service though as a couple of weeks ago I noticed the fans were quite loud & it now sometimes refuses to turn on without being inverted and given a few hefty smacks on its bottom.I did try removing the case to clean it out but once I'd removed perhaps 30 screws I still couldn't get the case apart so rather than risk damaging it forcing the case apart,I'll be taking it to my desktop builder for a proper service/clean out.

My daughter has a Netbook(provided by the school)It developed a screen fault within 6mths & was returned to the school for repair,but they've had it nearly a year & no sign of it being returned so daughter is dropping huge hints about what she'd like next xmas/birthday(though I'm loathed to buy another netbook as the last appeared to be made of waxed paper,though not quite as strong)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia