We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long do you expect your current computer to last

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have had this Sony Vaio for four and a half years, I haven't changed any hardware, but I have installed Windows 7 over Vista which was originally loaded. It runs smoothly and is quick. I am sure that my old computers were nowhere near as good as that. Are we now equating computer life the same as televisions? which are definitely lasting longer and more efficient. Technological advancement is a marvellous thing. Is the only reason we need to change simply to keep up with the latest gadget?

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Perhaps something could go wrong with the machine that means that i have to replace it ;)

Yes, it could! However, the only component that has failed on this machine is the original DVD-ROM player, which I replaced with a cheapo DVD-RW.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

My last one was a Win98 one, upgraded? to ME then to XP - still working well. My new one this year is Win 7 so should last till Win 12.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like to have 2 computers on the go, knowing that when one fails, I have still got one UP-AND-RUNNING.I have got 3 computers that need fixin'.My tomatoe plants are the 'apple of my eye' at the moment.Don't mention housework. Aitch.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

My old Evesham laptop is about 6 years old and going strong. Came with XP, upgraded to Vista, now running Win7 dual boot with Ubuntu 11.04.

Slight problem with screen hinges and display, but nothing worth worrying about.

Desktop about 3 years old, came with Vista, upgraded to Win7. Mesh machine and never had the slightest trouble.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I bought my first computer, a Compaq desktop in 1999, swapped it for a new one about six years later (A Targa from either Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which) and that one is still going strong. But the original monitor which I got with the first computer is beginning to have slight collywobbles one minute dimming down and then back up to a brighter than normal screen. However I am persevering with it and so far so good. (What monitor can anybody recommend to replace the old one when this one packs up Please)?

I also recently bought one of those small net-books which has windows 7 light installed on it and so far although I am only just getting the hang of that it seems o.k. I am taking it away with me this coming weekend to the Lake District to see how it works on somebody else's Wi-Fi I hope. That is, I am hoping Wi-Fi is available on the camp site.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Well, what would that new PC allow you to do that you can't already do with your current PC? I'm curious to know what I'm missing out on, you see"

Same as buying a new car, or television, or even a new shirt - modern design and technology.

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

With a possible upgrade to 16gb of RAM....This iMac should see me out.. :))

The laptop will soon be replaced with a new MBP so I will be "Windowless"

I wonder if this disqualifies my membership here? :))

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Mine is like Trigger's broom, not a lot left of the original one.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

morddwyd but we all do it, it's called consumerism.

Crosstrainer2 Mac's are always welcome, as are people with windows knowledge!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I am reading this having just posted to Consumerwatch 'Well done Novatech/Parcel Force or a sign of the times.

And I guess in truth all the system really needed was a reformat and reload of the O/S-

Discussing this very topic with a colleague Tuesday we concluded it rather depends on what the machine is used for- simple word processing type work and a 10 yr or even older machine would serve as well as any modern device - progress to Web work /searching and E-mailing and soforth then a more advanced machine may be required.

What drove me to order parts on Tuesday was the advance of connectivity- IDE to SATA for example and the demise of the Floppy -meant that to keep simple with future purchases a new motherboard bundle was ordered[The existing Foxxcon/AMD 64 bit was becoming a lshup up of IDE/SATAadaptors.

So I guess it is the motivation of the hardware/system designers to keep pushing the boundaries that is a keeping our hands in our wallets - when in fact older kits perform perfectly well- A fter all if Intel/AMD did not keep up the pressure they would have had to shut up shop years ago.

Mu only concession to keeping the old is the ATX case now nearly 12 years old- it is made from armour plate compared with to-days tinfoil products. Whilst in the mood I might change its appearance from the ubiquitous biege to shiny black- but then it sits under the desk so why would I?

Then I just might.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks