We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long do you expect your current computer to last

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have had this Sony Vaio for four and a half years, I haven't changed any hardware, but I have installed Windows 7 over Vista which was originally loaded. It runs smoothly and is quick. I am sure that my old computers were nowhere near as good as that. Are we now equating computer life the same as televisions? which are definitely lasting longer and more efficient. Technological advancement is a marvellous thing. Is the only reason we need to change simply to keep up with the latest gadget?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i expect to get 5 years minimum

my sony laptop over 4 years now but starting to get minor hardware problems

self build desktop now 2 years and going good

samsung netbook just a few months old

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I usually seem to get about 4 years out of a desktop. My laptops are generally replaced after a couple of years, it depends on the state of them. They get a bit of a hammering, but I have a three year old ThinkPad, and a three year old Toshiba (I love Toshiba laptops)that look good for a while yet.

I've recently acquired a new Netbook, and an iPad, so we'll see about them; the iPad is being heavily used at the moment, and seems pretty robust.

The problem with me is that I'm a bit of a sucker for shiny new devices - we won't talk about the contents of my 'it seemed a great idea at the time' cupboard.

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

I have had my Acer aspire for about 3 years - in that time i have had to replace the Hard drive, disc drive and re-install vista an couple of times.

I expect it to last about another 10 or so months.

An old desktop with components ranging from 8 - 12 years (oldest is an 20GB IDE hard drive) performs better.

Although i have only had the desktop myself for an couple of years i expect to last another 3 years ( if i can put off the urge to upgrade :D )

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Bought this desktop eight and a half years ago, but the only original components left are the motherboard, CPU, and case. Had intended to replace it long before this, but I'm not into gaming so much now, and I can't really see much point in forking out the cash for a new system so long as this one is doing everything I need it to do. I'm always browsing PC component sites, though, and I will eventually buy/build another one.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Forum Editor I agree about the iPad, I too bought the iPad 2 and as they say "it just works". Regarding the cupboard, I have one just like it. It even has a Humax Freeview Recorder in it and we don't even get Freeview yet. Don't ask!

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

My PCs last fairly long, I have my first build which still works that I put together in 2000/2001. It has inside it an Athlon Thunderbird 900MHZ CPU, 448MB of PC100 RAM and a 128MB Geforce FX5200 AGP video card. When I originally built it, it had a Riva TNT 2 Vanta PCI card and only 64MB of RAM.

My current computer was built as the old one developed a fault and I took the opportunity to get an upgrade. All I needed was a new motherboard but I ended up going crazy online and ordering a new CPU, GPU, Motherboard and DDR3 Memory.

Now I think this PC should last me a good 4 years without being untouched.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Come on boys (and girls), I need some definitive answers if I'm to justify my next self build when the current one is only three years old!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Two Desktops and two Laptops pus a Samsung nc10 Netbook. these will now last me till I kick the bucket One Desktop and one Laptop Medion Computers running XP Home dater as the Laptop, other desktop is a old one with AMD Athlon 2.5 Gig CPU Dual booted with Win98se and XP Home Though this is used on win98 most and do my main work on it. Laptop HP 510 with Centrino 2.13 gig CPU XP Home mainly for Surfing the net and take away when I go on Holidays in Touring Caravan or Cottage along with the Netbook

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

"Come on boys (and girls), I need some definitive answers if I'm to justify my next self build when the current one is only three years old!"

Well, what would that new PC allow you to do that you can't already do with your current PC? I'm curious to know what I'm missing out on, you see.

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

Armchair "I can't really see much point in forking out the cash for a new system so long as this one is doing everything I need it to do. I'm always browsing PC component sites, though, and I will eventually buy/build another one."

This is my trail of thought exactly - both my machines are working for the moment with no problems (with the exception of an issue with the desktop not being about to reboot correctly). I can build an nice new desktop for about £200 and install Linux on it; just trying to justify an reason to.

Perhaps something could go wrong with the machine that means that i have to replace it ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good