We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Default Mail Client

Condom

Likes # 0

I was trying to contact the FE but when clicking on his button I get the message "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed" I only use Hotmail nowadays and it always seems to be working fine so I don't understand this message.

Anyway what I wanted to ask you (FE) was info about your keyboard. I seem to remember you have a great keyboard and as my present one is about to be launched out the window I was thinking it might be worth investing in a really good one.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Condom - my laptop suddenly does not 'like' IE 7 or IE 8. But Firefox 3.5 is ok. Don't chuck it oot the window just yet.there might be a simple solution over in the HELPROOM.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I have been over in Mac Rumours for a while, and this hotmail issue crops up there too. I use Thunderbird as my default email client, and have had no issues.

I think this is a Hotmail issue.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

The mailto: link is a html code which expects to find an installed email client(program). They will not automatically find Hotmail or other web based email.

You could set up Outlook / Express Windows Live Mail or other program and these would retrieve your emails from your web based client if you set it up to do so, and if you had one of these installed the mailto: links would open WLM and put the receivers name in the To: box.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I don't know about Hotmail. but Gmail doe shave the ability to emulate a mail client and intercept Mailto: requests.

Check if there's any plugins for your web browser to allow Hotmail to intercept mail requests.

In the meantime this is FE's email address moderator@idg.co.uk

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

"doe shave" isn't some bizarre farming practice, it's my dodgy thumb hitting the space bar in the wrong places.

should be "does have"

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

alan14 I'm having the same problems that sometimes I think I'm getting a little dyslectic and it is one of the reasons I'm looking for a new keyboard. I'm trying to sort out my HUGE music collection and I feel I'm making too many mistakes which are not just down to my bad typing skills. Thanks for the address and I'll fire off th question direct to the FE.

Regards the e-mail client thing, I'm sure what has been said is correct as this has only happened since I took Windows Live Mail off as I felt it was just duplicating everything in hotmail and I seemed to be signing in at 2 places all the time. As my old primary school teacher used to say "stuff and Nonsense"

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

You could reinstall Windows Live Mail and set it up to "delete messages from the server".

I check my TT emails online, delete any I don't want to keep (like Facebook and PCA notifications) then at a later date, I download them into WLM and simultaneously delete them from the server.

The only thing to watch is if you send any emails from Hotmail online they will only be stored there - i.e. online and not in WLM. Similarly any you send from WLM will not replicate in Hotmail online. Hope this helps.

Best of luck with the Keyboard.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Covergirl

That's why I like Gmail.

I can read and send mail from any PC, they're only stored on Google's servers so wherever I am I can see all the mail I've sent and received.

There's a widget for most browsers that will allow Gmail to intercept mailto requests from webpages, which simply opens either another window or tab with the new mail window.

As I've got an Android smartphone I can also send & receive emails from my phone, and any of my email contacts that also have phone numbers listed were picked up by the phone & phone contacts are added to Gmail contacts, so moving from my last handset to my new one was simply a matter of entering my gmail email address & password and everything synced - including my google calender - it really is amazing what you can do with google and it doesn't cost us a bean at the point of use, especially as I've trained myself to ignore the text adverts...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14

I don't get text adverts with Gmail.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My keyboard is a Logitech diNovo Edge™ It costs an arm and a leg, but I've never used anything better. I'm on my second one now, and it will take something very special indeed to make me switch my affections.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer