We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

We've Not Been Burgled!

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Peculiar title for a thread, I know, but I've just come back from a day's shopping, 10.00 'til 3.00 and found the front door just as I had left it, wide open to the world, clearly visible from the street less than five metres away (as seen on Goggle Earth), and found everything in order!

Needless to say I do not live in Greater London or some other inner city area.

The most comprehensive insurance in the world is not likely to be very sympathetic to a claim in such circumstances!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I once went on holiday and left the back door to the house unlocked. I realised I had done it as we sat in the aircraft and heard the cabin crew being given the 'Doors to automatic' instruction.

Too much of a coward to admit it to my wife, I spent two weeks worrying about it, and the sense of relief when we returned and I found all was well was immense.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Too much of a coward to admit it to my wife"

How many of us know that feeling!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

When I was driving from Miami up to Kissimmee in a new hired car we stopped for a break at a roadside eatery. Half an hour later when we got back to the car the rear door on one side was wide open and we thought "Oh golly 'eck bet everything's gone" Much to our surprise not a thing was missing and we realised we must have left it open ourselves in our hurry to get to the toilet etc.

People told us many times how lucky we were...All I could think of was how stupid we were. Even the car could have gone...

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, no such luck for me when on holiday in Italy many many years ago - unaccustomed to long distance driving and going from Northern Germany to Italy via Switzerland, over what was then the Gothard Pass, I had not realised that driving over the tops of mountains caused the water in rad to evaporate quicker than normal. Subsequently, engine seized about four miles from our destination, and at nearly midnight, decided to leave car in small lay-by on main road securely locked, (or so I thought). Wife, two little ones and myself piled into friends car (two families we were travelling together) to continue to hotel. Came back next morning with water for rad, my car had been cleaned out totally - several suitcases, camera and loads of film all gone. On approaching my car, I had commented to my friend 'at least the car is still here' little realising!

Holiday ruined, local police were useless and not interested as it was a regular event for them. Remained in Italy for a few days and then back home, feeling pretty sorry for ourselves, especially for the kids!

Have never been back to Italy since.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Unfortunately many of the shop keepers will not be insured because most insurance policies specifically exclude riots & civil unrest, you can choose to take this option but it adds considerably to a policy, and is 99 years out of 100 unnecessary.

Likewise stock is often not insured, because it's simply too expensive to insure in most areas...

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

My front door is open everyday, from dawn till I go to bed. In my case it's because I live in rented bungalow and they won't let me put a cat flap in. So, I have to leave the door open so I don't have to keep stopping what I'm doing to let the cat in and out.

I don't live in London either. But being as most burgularies are opportunist governed, perhaps an open window would be more inviting than an open door. After all, if a front door is open wouldn't it be more likely that someone were there and have left it open for a reason. Whereas an open window, could easilly have been forgotten, if someone had popped out?

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I too have occasionally gone out & the door has been left open(I expected daughter/GF to close & lock it but they thought I had)and not been burgled either,nor do I live in a city.I have had my motorcycle stolen from outside three times despite it being chained to the fence,so to stop it getting stolen again,I sold it which seems to have worked.My bicycle was stolen & to stop it happening again,I didn't replace it which also appears to have worked. :)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Graphicool1 You could improve your security by putting the door on a chain. At least then the cat can get in and out but you will stop people just wandering in. grin

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

wiz-king

I am not allowed to do any maintenance work to the property, this includes changing a washer in the tap. I can tell you, for someone like myself who has always previously done all their own repairs. including fitting a kitchen, bathroom, laying carpets, dimmer switches, plumbing, roof repairs etc, etc. This is most annoying and frustrating. if we want the littlest thing done we have to get in touch with the agents, who in turn gets in touch with the site management, who then has a meeting with the owner and sometime down the line the job might eventually get done. but in the meantime we won't hold our breaths!

Further to your suggestion, no-one comes in and neither do they attempt to. The cat is feral, lays on the doorstep, it is a creature of habit and it doesn't like strangers. The cat, like me, is anti-social. When it sees anything or anyone it doesn't recognise or out of the ordinary or it doesn't like the look of. It comes and finds me and get me to with it to see!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Where I live we often go out without locking the door, and leave the patio doors wide open. It's a very refreshing from where I last lived were I had 3 locks on the door, a 8 foot high wall and electric gates.

We also never lock the cars, and my partner usually leaves the keys in the ignition.

The joys of country life.

btw: no way am i telling you were I live, I don't want you lot round nicking my stuff :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia