We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Renewing Your Driving Licence

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just got my renewal notice today and thought 'didn't we discus that, and when?'

Well it was way back in 2008 and became quite controversial at the time. I thought the licence was still valid until the original expiry until we got underway. Well now I can see for myself that I do have to renew it, or it does indeed become invalid.

fm's original post

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes you need to update them every 10 years now.

I just got my free one a couple of months back.

From posting the reply to them and supplying a mug shot I received the new one within 2 days.

The old paper one was falling apart but I had it for 50 years.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And I have to renew mine now every three years,I think no cost.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I am awaiting my licence returning(with added points,sigh)and am keen to see if it has gained a B&W photo.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

"You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You can update your driving licence online or send it to DVLA for amendment. A new licence will be issued free of charge unless your photograph’s due for renewal".

Just have to keep moving house every ten years to avoid the charge. Also have to convince them you're photo is still valid. Befreind a solicitor or a judge winking smiley

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just received my new licence after 4 days.

Not bad for DVLA, but the picture is crap compared to the older technology used previously and I defy anyone to sign their name electronically on the touch pad and not have it looking like a 3 year old's first attempt at joined up writing, it looks nothing like one written with a real pen on paper. And as expected, my HGV entitlement is valid until midnight on 4th October 2011, which would require another renewal before then should I not be letting that go.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

The photo is black and white because it is applied by laser to the card I think.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...a number of enhanced security features that weren't available on the older version."

A lesser detailed picture and an inaccurate signature scrawl are enhanced security features?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - regarding signature verification, I thought they could tell if it was you signing it, by the pressure of the pen to the surface of the card or paper material you were writing on. Maybe I seen it 'Mission Imposible'.Sometimes I get mixed up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......