We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Renewing Your Driving Licence

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just got my renewal notice today and thought 'didn't we discus that, and when?'

Well it was way back in 2008 and became quite controversial at the time. I thought the licence was still valid until the original expiry until we got underway. Well now I can see for myself that I do have to renew it, or it does indeed become invalid.

fm's original post

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My DL was issued in 1977 - but the last time I looked at it was about 6 years ago. I vaguely remember the expiry date was about 2024. I will have to check that out...after I find it! I have not driven a car for 6 years, and I don't miss it.I 'lost' my original and had to get a duplicate; I hope I can find the duplicate as I will then have to get another duplicate.BTW I found the original but that is not valid any more. HB

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I used to use the same photo for my Driving License, Passport, bus pass etc but now I can't do this. Seems like my photo which is accepted by all other Government Agencies is not good enough for the Passport Office. My new Driving Licence now uses a BW photo instead of the previous coloured one but at an increased cost. Baffling!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And you don't get a new plastic wallet to keep it in.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No Wallet! Mine needs replacing, its gone yellow and might crack if someone ever tries to open it.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Condom

My new Driving Licence now uses a BW photo instead of the previous coloured one but at an increased cost. Baffling!!

But you still have to submit a COLOURED picture. The reason its in B&W on your license is that its burned on by laser rather than being a digital scan, and as yet they haven't got a laser that will burn in colour.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They must be saving up for one from the increased renewal fee.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I must be missing something here. Licence valid until '24 and have no photo on it and have had no request to do so.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Unless you have to have a photo licence (HGV, PSV, taxi), it's optional. Keep to the old one for simplicity.

I've just done mine at the local post office, the photo and signature are sent electronically to DVLA for £24.50 all in. The licence is updated in real time and should be with me within 10 days. I don't suppose there's any chance they'll ever allow me to print my own off from an e-mail reply...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I forgot to mention that my photo needed renewing for a 3rd October renewal, so therefore I'll get it with my HGV entitlement on. But that runs out on 5th October requiring a full medical etc, and as I don't intend to renew my HGV entitlement, you have to think that they're not very efficient at planning. A little common sense should tell them to get these two things synced together on vocational licences.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Common sense in the same thread as DVLA?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide