We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Final warning

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I hate doing this, but I'm left with little choice.

Despite my recent warning I regret to note that certain people persist in making derogatory personal comments about other forum users. I'm not naming names - they know who they are.

This is to make it perfectly clear that I'm not going to tolerate personal abuse of one person by another under any circumstances. By all means argue your point vigorously, express your opinion forcefully, contest another person's assertions - those are all legitimate ways of debating a topic, and we're here for that purpose.

Break the forum rule about personal abuse though, and you'll see your post deleted without warning or explanation. Do it repeatedly and you'll find yourself unable to log in to the forum. Those of you who have been previously warned will get no further reminders. It might sound harsh, but I'm tired of asking nicely and being ignored.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

I would have thought the FE was too busy to issue what would effect to "warning notices" in the form of a "reason" email to each person when he had to delete a posting.

I've had one or two removed and whilst I can't remember the exact wording, I knew at the time I posted that I was being controversial, cruel or unkind.

You must know what you wrote, therefore you must have an idea of why your post was deleted - just leave it at that and think yourself lucky you weren't sin-binned.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Covergirl

I too am busy, but I felt that the question was one that I could contribute to. So I took the time and took a break from my busy schedual to make my point on this serious matter.

I know exactly what I wrote, word for word, because I always keep the good stuff! That's the very reason that I can't let it go that easially. I could/can see nothing in it that would warrant it being lifted. Radical, maybe, toungue in cheek definately.

Perhaps the FE is religious and it was the references to 'Darwins Theory of Evolusion' that wrankled him. I don't know, I can only make guesses 'Perhaps' is all I have to cling to, when I don't know the reason why?.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Or an ASBO?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

A love it when it all comes together

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS It's better than watching Telly

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

woodchip

Most things are better than watching telly.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bingalau, as you know, I am completely under the thumb of LHO, and she has warned me not to get involved in the nasty stuff on this forum. (PS-I'm writing this quietly so she can't hear me, and it's a Dark & Stormy for you, if you keep schtum)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I have got wound up by some comments but never lowered myself to insult the writer, freedom of expression and views we are all different. manner cost nothing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

I used to write to everyone who had a post deleted, but to be honest I made a rod for my own back. My emails invited a response from the aggrieved person, along the lines of "I don't agree that my post was offensive, I only said that (name of government Minister) was tucking away public money in an offshore account, what happened to the right of free speech?" etc., etc.

I was often too busy to respond to that, so I received another email "why are you being so rude - I demand that you reply, or I shall write to your superior" etc., etc.

Multiply that 30 times a week, and you'll realise that I was spending far too much time explaining what was an editorial decision, and not up for discussion, so I decided to cease the notifications.

If people generally feel that I should be sending individual explanations about deletions I'm prepared to reconsider, but frankly I don't feel that a deleted post in a web forum is a life-changing occurrence. Why not just call me all the names under the sun in your head and move on?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

FE

At least I can thank you for responding to me in this thread. As for calling you or anyone else names, well, that just isn't my style. Shake me head, sigh and move on maybe. but only because I don't have any choice in the matter.

For future referrence, a simple solution: If you ask, people will tell you what they think. If you don't want to know, or you don't want anyone else to know what they think, then don't ask. Or make the answer 'Yes' or 'No' only.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......