We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Final warning

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I hate doing this, but I'm left with little choice.

Despite my recent warning I regret to note that certain people persist in making derogatory personal comments about other forum users. I'm not naming names - they know who they are.

This is to make it perfectly clear that I'm not going to tolerate personal abuse of one person by another under any circumstances. By all means argue your point vigorously, express your opinion forcefully, contest another person's assertions - those are all legitimate ways of debating a topic, and we're here for that purpose.

Break the forum rule about personal abuse though, and you'll see your post deleted without warning or explanation. Do it repeatedly and you'll find yourself unable to log in to the forum. Those of you who have been previously warned will get no further reminders. It might sound harsh, but I'm tired of asking nicely and being ignored.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I hope it doesn't disappoint you to learn that Brumas and Macscouse have my full permission to continue with their incessant ribbing of poor old you.

I firmly believe that you secretly love every minute of it - we certainly do.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john 52

Many of us hold very strong opinions - you don't have exclusivity on that score. The difference is that perhaps many of us don't allow ourselves to get swept up into making personal comments - overt or sly - about another forum user.

You had a post deleted. You know full well why it happened, yet you still couldn't resist repeating the offence here, in a thread on the subject. It's a perfect illustration of the point I'm making.

Your personal opinions are not being stamped upon because they don't fit the mindset of other forum members - that's your imagination at work. You are perfectly at liberty to make your views known as strongly as you like, provided you abide by the forum rules, one of which is that you do not make derogatory personal remarks about other people. It's a simple rule, and one that will be rigidly enforced, no matter who is involved. It's for you to decide whether or not you choose to comply.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Your suggestion is a good one, but unworkable. I have enough on my plate as it is; keeping track of all the yellow cards and weeks in the slammer would be a nightmare.

Anyone who I ban is more than welcome to contact me with regard to a reinstatement. There are many forum members who have done just that and are posting regularly again. Everyone is capable of a temporary wobble from time to time, and I'm not interested in excluding people who wish they hadn't said this or that in the heat of the moment. What gets my goat is when someone repeatedly fails to recognise a red light, or deliberately chooses to ignore it. This is a community of sorts, and unless we insist on a basic code of good conduct we'll rapidly have a forum that is a kind of battleground. Trust me, we've been there in the past, and we're not going there again while I have any say in the matter.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - Good answer.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I go away for a week and suddenly posting gets exiting and I missed it all. Must admit that I too think one or two people get a little personalised with their posts when perhaps it is better not to say anything. Of Course its all this broken society causing it LOL.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Well said E.D... Reminds me of something my younger brother said before he passed away, "the moment you start swearing is the moment you lost the debate". Not a pretty site if the forum becomes beholden to personal dislike rather than constructive debate,amusing as it sometimes is.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

FE

You had a post deleted. You know full well why it happened

No not really I do not know what was insulting to say "I will refrain from posting on the thread again ".

What I do find insulting is a poster who just posts a forum members name as a reply or comparing a former prime minister with Hitler (which in fairness to you pointed out it was inappropriate) and what action was taken !

none

it just shows a complete lack of respect for other forum members opinions Every comment made by other members are challenged quite often backed up with inaccurate facts .

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Ooooh - don'tcha just love a good heated debate?

However, I find it offensive that the arguing should go on on here. The FE has his reasons and I suspect he has personally emailed people (some if not all) about the errors of their ways, yet the arguing still goes on.

Nice to see the FE has got his "pin" out at last. Time for deletion of the individual posts and the application of "the padlock" methinks.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I wish there was a "Black Museum".

The FE is so efficient that I miss all these insults!

I feel deprived, and I also might be able to pick up the odd oath and imprecation I've not used before.

Like this post
gartoy

Likes # 0

Well after defecting from this forum due to the increase in petty squabbles I decided to pop back & have a look.

I think this post says it all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK