We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is DAB radio dead?

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

Interesting article

I've tried it here on Anglesey, signal is very poor (when you can get it at all), so I'm sticking with good old FM.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Just slide your Tuner across your FM Dial. About 80% of it is empty.

This is because huge amounts of space have to be left so that neighbouring stations don't interfere with each other. It's the reason BBC national stations have different frequencies so that overlapping transmitters don't drown each other out.

DAB stations take up much less bandwidth, so this isn't a problem

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Diemmess

Didn't you make an insurance claim?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"All the DAB radios I've seen for sale have been "retro" styled & have just the one speaker"

I suggest you take another look.

My cheapo Logik IR100, long since superseded, plays excellent stereo through my Denon hifi, and my Roberts Stream 83i Stereo is not only stereo, but even has a sub-woofer.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Another DAB diddle:

Why do you accept that the only TV to buy, is one that has a Higher Definition than the earlier Models?

And yet, are quite happy to accept a new Radio whose reproduction is grossly inferior to the FM System, whose power consumption is higher by a factor of 4 and costs about 3 x the equivalent FM model.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have a Stereo receiver as part of my HiFi set up which I haven't switched on in years. The only time I ever listen to radio these days is on my TV through Freeview which is digital and that is good enough for me.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Why do you accept that the only TV to buy, is one that has a Higher Definition than the earlier Models?" ...even though most of us don't receive HD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features