We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is DAB radio dead?

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

Interesting article

I've tried it here on Anglesey, signal is very poor (when you can get it at all), so I'm sticking with good old FM.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Yes it is true that there are millions of perfectly serviceable FM radios in use today, but when FM was introduced there were only six or seven radio stations in use. There has been a huge demand in recent years for more radio stations, local news, sports news, classical music, pop music, traffic reports, weather reports all in addition to the traditional Radios 1, 2 and 3 that served us so well in the past. These cannot be accomodated using FM, the bandwith is just not available so DAB has been introduced as the alternative. I think (but I am not sure) that all the existing FM stations can or will be covered by DAB so eventually when DAB coverage is deemed sufficient then FM will disappear in the same way that analogue TV reception is being phased out in favour of digital.

Incidentally does anyone know if the claimed flatness of music reproduction from DAB applies to those same stations received from digital TV?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

chub_tor, radio stations received via Freeview are generally transmitted at a higher bitrate than those transmitted via DAB.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

userious?

"why are the radios so dear????"

Because of the dinosaurs who insist on sticking with FM/AM, of which a few have contributed to this thread, who aren't buying DAB radios.

So, until such time as there's a wider market for DAB, the prices will remain unnecessarily high. An example of simple supply and demand.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Why should the majority who are quite satisfied with receiving FM transmissions buy a new receiver just to satisfy the minority who want all the multiple transmissions DAB can give particularly as the reception for music whether it is classical or pop etc. is so good. The majority probably don't know or want to know all the additional channels.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I like listening to DAB broadcasts in the car as FM requires multiple retuning(although done automatically by the radio)as I move from one area to another.Unfortunately,I dont possess a DAB radio,it was just something I'd noticed when provided with a hire-car after my last accident.I certainly wont be buying any of the present offerings of DAB radio,as I've yet to see a stereo variety.All the DAB radios I've seen for sale have been "retro" styled & have just the one speaker.I listen to music on the satellite box as I've added stereo speakers inplace of the sound through the TV,I rarely use freeview as we can only receive half of the available channels(though I hear that the channels we're missing are all shopping channels so no real loss)I will be replacing the car radio eventually & prope to do so with a DAB unit as I quite like being able to listen to the exact same station either via the PC/TV/Freesat or in the car.In my house,the radio is on 24/7 as I use it to drown out the noises outside(though we're apparently getting cavity wall insulation installed sometime soon which might allow me to finally desist in having a radio playing while I'm in bed)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Q. "Why should the majority who are quite satisfied..."

If we all had that line of thought, we'd still be tuning our Bakelite sets into either the Home Service with Jack de Manio or the Light Programme with Billy Cotton...

A. Move with the times!

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

The government wants to flog off the band 11 frequencies, so you are going to get DAB radio whether you like it or not ! The reception of DAB in rural Wales is diabolical, so there are going to be lots and lots of moans when the changeover day arrives.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

amonra

I quite agree that they've still got someway to go to improve things, but the increased choices available are what people will buy, just as we wanted more than BBC1, BBC2 and ITV so many years ago. Would we ever accept 3 TV channels again even though the vast majority are in the 57 channels and nuthin' on category..

I remember when Radios 1,2,3 & 4 came along, the same 'we don't need all that many radio stations' was trotted out, but we quickly celebrated our new Radio 1 for teenagers and Radio 2 for the boring adults option.

It'll get there.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

2 DAB Fallacies:

1. There is a huge demand for the extra Radio Stations. Many, but no all, the DAB Radio Stations make do with Listener Numbers in the Hundreds, let alone Thousands. There have already been a Number of DAB Stations that have closed and many are still functioning solely because of Public Subsidies.

2. There is not sufficient FM Wavelengths available. Just slide your Tuner across your FM Dial. About 80% of it is empty.

DAB is a thinly disguised attempt by Government to earn money by "Selling Off" the newly available Wavelengths but after the G3 Fiasco, big Business has learnt its lesson and the only people now interested are a few fringe Ethnic Groups and the BBC, which are under instructions to be so, also there is an assortment of dubious Media Moguls, such as Mr Desmond, sniffing about.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Is DAB radio dead?

In this house - YES

Our one and only fell off the dining table and doesn't go any more. No outward signs of trauma. No rattles, just dead.

I await Dr.Roberts' diagnosis and prognosis.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?