We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is DAB radio dead?

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

Interesting article

I've tried it here on Anglesey, signal is very poor (when you can get it at all), so I'm sticking with good old FM.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

st-clares

Not everyone listens to the radio at home. The beauty of radio is that it's portable, not a feature of Freeview TV or internet radio, which is either tied to a PC or WiFi, don't want to be sapping my mobile bandwidth limit listening to the radio.

Also, even when I'm at home I don't want to be using the huge amount of electricity my TV consumes to listen to 6 Music or Test Match Special.

DAB suffers from the fact that too many stations are tied to each multiplex, thus reducing the available bandwidth.

Also there's not currently enough transmitters so signals are patchy in many areas, and early radios sucked up far too much power, so battery life for DAB radios is perceived to be very poor, new radios are not too bad, but they still use much more power than analogue radios. I have a Sony radio in the bathroom that is used for at least an hour a day, and the current set of 3 x C-cells have been in for 18 months, which is at least 450 hours running time...

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Personally I can't see why DAB radio is necessary Well I can, for I now have a choice of 32 different stations available at the press of a button or two and they cover all my listening needs from local news, traffic reports, sports, music of all genres (although as I have said before these channels are little used). Interference free and all the stations come with scrolling displays of the programme I am tuned into. The only FM I use is in the car as that is what is fitted in my ancient Ford Focus.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If any one wants digital radio it can be received through a TV or a PC. "

TV reception is pretty poor in the car, and the broadband signal is, at best, patchy!

If you have never listened to DAB then obviously it isn't necessary, for you.

It is of particular use in a car, where the background noise makes sound quality a second consideration to quality of reception.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I wouldn't be without DAB in the car.

The number of rock based stations is huge compared to the old late night Radio 1 John Peel slot for getting something different away from the mainstream. The commercial stations play the same top 40 pap aimed at teenagers (I know I was one once, but now I'm not!) and on a Sunday, Radio 2 is like travelling back in a time warp to the Charlie Chester/king's Singers era!

It's true that some of the stations use a lower quality transmission rate, but for me the content quality outweighs the broadcast quality.

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

The one, big, drawback for me is the battery life.

I have a FM radio in the kitchen that is used every day but only needs it's 4 'C' batteries changing every year.

The DAB radio in the bathroom needs re-charging every 10 days !

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You could always fit a 13 amp mains socket conveniently above the taps!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and in this H&S dominated world, I suppose I should add, don't try this at home...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"and in this H&S dominated world, I suppose I should add, don't try this at home"

Could always fit a shaver socket & use an adaptor

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Alan14 stated "Not everyone listens to the radio at home. The beauty of radio is that it's portable, not a feature of Freeview TV or internet radio, which is either tied to a PC or WiFi, don't want to be sapping my mobile bandwidth limit listening to the radio." The point I was making was that there are many millions of perfectly serviceable FM radios inuse today. I understand the government's intention is to switch off the FM transmitters eventually. Also there have been comments about battery life being excessive again not very environmentally friendly.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Just bought one....why are the radios so dear????

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert