We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think the police cuts should be reconsidered?

bremner

Likes # 0

Today on the World at One Kenneth Clarke reiterated the goverments case for cutting police budgets.

He said that policing was in major need of a root and branch reform, with which I generally agree. He added that they wanted police officers out of offices and on the streets, meaning that overall number of officer could be cut without reducing the number of frontline police. Great, but he then said the jobs being done by the police officers in offices could then be done by civilian staff.

My local force is having to cut 700 police officers AND 500 civilian posts.

Something therefore does not add up.

Why can't the government simply be honest. They need to balance the books, policing must take its pain like every public service but please please don't say there will be no noticeable reduction in frontline officers.

The emperor has no clothes.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

fourm member

No of course not but maybe stagger the holidays like most firms have to do.

Probably just a coincidence that this happened when everyone was away but my thinking is what's the best time to ransack shops ect when the cats away the mice will play comes to mind.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Fourm member

john52

Election pledges and what politicians actually do are poles apart

not keeping to an election promise is not unusual for **any political party and that is the point I was making

So your comments You are the one who is so obsessed with the Tories that you can't resist introducing completely irrelevant matters and, thus, derailing a serious discussion.

I suggest you read the posts again so you can get your facts right and by the way many people find the NHS not an irrelevant matter

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member "Can you really not stop yourself."

Coming from you, that's hilarious!

I took and pasted your exact quote. Here it is again, in case you've forgotten:-

"I have not made any mention of the Tories. I wrote about the government."

I never mentioned NHS spending, or who cut what - I was simply pointing out that if you read your quote it is saying that you do not see the present government as Tory?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps in reference to fourm members comment at 9.01AM today: " If 'amateur' troops can do a good job in Afghanistan then 'amateur' police officers can do an equally 'valuable' job on the streets".

Perhaps that is already taking place with the Blunkett Bobbies (PCSO's) and perhaps prior to that the police employed Traffic Wardens who have/had many roles that the public are/were not aware about?.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Speaking as a former Police Officer of thirty years' service and therafter as a Special Constable, and having a grand-daughter who is a Special Constable, and also a son and daughter in the Metropolitan Police Service, can I say that the Police Service, no matter where it might be in the U.K., be left to the job it does best, and that is POLICING.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Fourm member

'George Osborne has cut £766 million from the NHS in his first year'

This is an alleged fact and George Osborne is in control of the government purse strings at this moment in time who do you suggest I blame anybody but the person who has responsibility for it .

You are still missing the point of the posts regarding political parties .It is a fact that from all sides of the political arena they make elections promises and do not to carry out these promises and do not tend to worry about the electorate hence the NHS and there willingness to gamble with the proposed changes .

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"You realised, near the end of your original comment, that you were about the break the great unwritten golden rule of this forum 'Don't say anything bad about British forces'"

That is totally untrue and I reject in utterly. I have said lots of both good, and bad, things about British forces, and I reserve the right to do so in future.

"If 'amateur' troops can do a good job in Afghanistan than 'amateur' police officers can do an equally 'valuable' job on our streets."

At no time did I ever suggest anything else. However, they are still part timers, and still amateurs (much as the RAFVR was before the Battle of Britain).

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I heard on local TV that Surrey police were planing an increase of over 200 constables whilst still meeting cost targets. They are reducing senior officers to pay for this. Also if only 12% are on patrol at any one time, surely cutting red tape will allow savings without front line problems

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

fourm member

If you want to blame who was responsible then blame Alistair Darling who set the spending regime which the new government adopted.

And perhaps blame the Labour party for the spending needed to recover the NHS into a worthwhile service again after the previous attempts by a Conservative administration to run it into the ground forcing private health care on the British public .

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Re Surrey Police: See here http://www.surreypa.gov.uk/2011/07/forward-planning-puts-surrey-police-ahead/

If they can increase front line and meet cuts targets, why can't others?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks