We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think the police cuts should be reconsidered?

bremner

Likes # 0

Today on the World at One Kenneth Clarke reiterated the goverments case for cutting police budgets.

He said that policing was in major need of a root and branch reform, with which I generally agree. He added that they wanted police officers out of offices and on the streets, meaning that overall number of officer could be cut without reducing the number of frontline police. Great, but he then said the jobs being done by the police officers in offices could then be done by civilian staff.

My local force is having to cut 700 police officers AND 500 civilian posts.

Something therefore does not add up.

Why can't the government simply be honest. They need to balance the books, policing must take its pain like every public service but please please don't say there will be no noticeable reduction in frontline officers.

The emperor has no clothes.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"..if you say there's nothing wrong with having a part-time amateur army."

Now hold on there, morddwyd never said any such thing (and I'm sure you knew that!!). What he actually said was that the TA provided a 'valuable service'.

One might similarly say that para-medics in ambulances provide a valuable service, but I'm not altogether sure I'd be happy with them doing the work of consultant surgeons?

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

FE

If the government says there will be no cuts in frontline services, and is subsequently shown to have reneged on that promise, the electorate will have its revenge, come election day.

Fourm member

I really don't know what healthcare spending has to do with this thread but if you're going to drag it in you should do more than just read the headlines.

So you do not think the NHS is a front line service it was more a fact that of not keeping to an election promise is not unusual for any political party and that is the point I was making but you sound like you want to turn this into another of your usual threads

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Just an observation while waiting for the bus yesterday in South-side of Glasgow. A police car on the other side of the road had two female officers in the front and one other 'person' sitting in the back of the police car.Can women police officers 'pull their weight' when it comes to serious physical situations.Have their male colleagues been sent to the aid of English Police forces? HB

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

There is a lot of nonsense being talked because people don't bother to look beyond inflammatory headlines

A bit like the Andy Coulson affair then ?if you noticed I did not accuse just the Tory party of breaking its election promises but as you usually do think that every comment is a political attack on the Tory party.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

"Only a fool would make a promise like that and then break it" That sounds like our Government....never trust a politician.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Political promises - strange things!

How can a Party make promises (and sign pledges!), renege on them within weeks, yet still be allowed to hold major offices in our Government?

Oh yes, it's for our own good!

Can any of us understand the loathing that some young people have for the 'system' which allows this, and MPs to 'milk' the system, to say nothing of bankers and police officers. Youth see that it appears that the folk who already have 'plenty' just take more - so why shouldn't they?

We are creating a very divided society and I suspect much worse is to come, and we should be looking to the real causes rather than how we can try and 'crush' the rebellions with violent policing and harsher sentences. That is just temporarily sweeping the trouble under the carpet.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[Do you think the police cuts should be reconsidered?]

They should never have been cut in the first place.

Everyone knows there are not enough police on patrol so why would you want to cut the amount of police when they should be adding to it.

Unfortunately the Yobs have been taking over for years and the police seem powerless to control them.

So maybe not the best time to cut back on the police force.

If you cannot get a hold of the Police now what chance have you got when they remove some of them.

Then you have to ask have the police got there hands tied behind there backs when tackling problems like what has just happened in London Ect.

A few of the Police have went in hard in previous demonstrations and have been charged with assault ect.

Now when we want them to go in hard and show them who is in control they can't because of the fear that they themselves may be prosecuted.

As I see it the police are in a no win situation and only extra police on the beat can help.

The PM says that cutting the amount Police will have no affect and the police force will run better without all the paper work ect.

Well someone has to do it but as they are getting rid of the backroom staff as well it makes you wonder who is going to do it.

I have not changed my mind about the PM I have said in my opinion he is the worst PM that I have ever seen.

I think still going ahead with the cuts to the police force is not in the interest of the Public and rioting in the streets may be something that we may well see a lot more of.

You have to ask the head of the police force and assistant head removed in the one week.

Mayor of London and all of the PM's on holiday and what can you expect but a lots of trouble.

I thought the trouble may have came from other organisations so maybe we got off light considering what may have happened.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

What we need to do is to get more police officers out and about. This can be done by reducing the unnecessary paperwork

We were burgled a while back and so I had direct experience of the police in action. The paper work was unbelievable and took hours of police time, most of it was not needed and much was repetitive.

There were six robberies on the same night if "my" paperworks was multiplied by six no wonder there are few officers out and about.

I hear that the percentage of police on the streets is as low as twelve - what on earth are the others doing ? Yes, I know all about shift work, holidays, time off and sickness but I am sure that an efficient organisation could do better.

It is not the coppers who are wrong it is the bloated organisation and it is just possible that Elected Police Commissioners could do better.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

So the government is not Tory then? please don't insult us with that coalition rubbish because if it were the Lib/Dem side of it would not have had to break all of it's manifesto pledges.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"..I have not made any mention of the Tories. I wrote about the government."

Interesting, so this Tory (led?) government doesn't count as a Tory one?

I see the 'excuse-machine' being set in motion already - it was all the fault of those LibDems, nothing to do with the Tories!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014