We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I never knew.True or False.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Watching something on TV today about Australia my brother happened to mention that if you pull the plug in a sink full of water in Australia the actual water rotates anti-clockwise when disappearing down the drain.

We all know it rotates clockwise here and I am trying to work out why it should be the opposite way down under.

Getting to my age and I did not know that.

So learn something new every day.

Wonder how long this thread will stay open!!!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The water down the sink thing is a myth BBC

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - chances this thread will run are 100/1. Scientific or mathematical discussions on this forum seem to be few and far between. HB

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi bremner.

I took it for granted that it was true as he stayed there for 6 weeks about 10 years ago so bang goes that theory, although he did say it always went anti-clockwise.

I have to head for the airport now so will see if anyone else has experienced it on their trips down under.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

I might have 50p on that at those prices.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think it is true. I once saw a TV programme filmed on the equator and the "eddy " was different depending on which side of the line the container with plughole was

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - the odds are now 10/1 - that's what the bookies do.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

John Bunyan

Have you read the link I have posted.

I have lost count of the times that this has shown to be untrue on countless science programs and was raised on QI.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I seem to recall a tv program very similar to what you suggest. That program if I remember correctly also did the pin on a string magnetic field test?.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

After living in Sydney for twenty odd years,i now realise that this was something i never checked.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nice one tullie.

We finally got someone who stayed in Australia and never noticed any difference.

I suppose that means that the water was rotating clockwise or you would have noticed the difference.

Now this is a bit of a ramble.

Watching underground lava flows on some fault line somewhere in the world.

The magnetic force of the Lava would always point north on a compass,But they are now getting results of the opposite and the magnetic force is now pointing south on some of the fault lines.

Probably an idiotic view would there be any side effects with that which would make things work different.

Anyhow my Brother still says where he stayed in Brisbane the water drained anti clockwise.

And just had another thought.He is a left Hander so maybe that could have been one of the reasons.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......