We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fridge Freezer Gas and unfortunate incident?? :(

Mary_S

Likes # 0

Dear All,

Last Sunday we suffered the loss of our pet budgie who we dearly loved as a member of the family. He was 3 years old and brought so much happiness in the house with his antics and singing. We are deeply missing him and are wondering what brought him to his death.

We took him to the vets where the nurse said that he most likely has died due to breathing problems. He reluctantly offered a post mortem if we wanted to try find a deeper reason but we saw no point in cutting him up.

However, now we are wondering if it was breathing problems (and we do beleive that was the case) what could have caused that. We are now worringly thinking it may have something to do with a new fridge feezer we bought. The model purchased is http://www.johnlewis.com/231064836/Product.aspx

1) Does anyone know if these types of fridge freezers contain and/or release any gas?

We cannot smell any gas ourselves but of course with budgies being as vulnerable as they are, perhaps any gas being released is not noticable to us but still may have a deadly effect on the bird.

I know a kitchen was not the safest place to keep a bird and I deeply regret that we did.

I need to know if the fridge was a reason. My sister has a budgie and when they visit us we usually keep him in the kitchen and one day we may get another budgie and do not wish to repeat the same mistake.

Of course, I'm not looking to take risks and will keep my sisters budgie and a new budgie (if we get oen in the future) in another room, however, we enjoy having the budgies with us while we eat and also too be honest over half the eveing goes in the kitchen rather then living room and by keeping them there means we could all be together for more time rather then simpy 30 mins at the end of the day in the living room.

If someone can answer my question I would greatly appreciate it. Of course I will give LG a call but I get the feeling they wont really assist in the matter.

Thank You

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

If your Fridge/Freezer has a Gas Leak, it will stop Freezing and the Motor will keep running at full tilt.

If it is still maintaining it's Temperature, then you're OK.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Mary_S - I think perhaps the variation in temperatures and fumes from cooking over the three years of it's short life, may have contributed to it's premature death.

Like this post
Mary_S

Likes # 0

AitchBEE,

I'm beginning to learn that myself. I'm horrified to think my ignorance has caused his death. It is too painful the think I'm the reason but perhaps thats the punishment i deserve for being so naive.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As you have already begun to suspect, a kitchen is probably the worst room in the house in which to keep a budgerigar. The bird will inhale fat and oil particles from the cooking process, and be subject to small amounts of Carbon Monoxide inhalation - far too small to be a problem to you, but cumulatively harmful to the bird.

It obviously wasn't your fault that your bird died - you didn't know about the hazards.

An important thing to remember if you get another bird, or if you look after one for someone else, is that in the wild budgerigars are highly social birds; they live in large flocks, and when kept in captivity they must never be left alone in a room where people seldom go. Budgerigars like human company, and they will rapidly go downhill if subjected to solitude.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"small amounts of Carbon Monoxide inhalation"

On this point my CO alarm started an intermittent beep last week which wasn't listed on the chart. Checking the makers website revealed that it was an 'End of Life' warning. Apparently CO alarms only have a life of 7 YEARS and after this will give a malfunction alarm. As the alarm is about this age I have replaced it with a new one. This one has a more comprehensive manual which gives details of the End of Life warning as well as other fault warnings. It also is guaranteed for the whole of its 7 year life.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

BT - If only budgies had a malfunction chirp...all would be well. :0]

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

My mother always used to have a budgie for company. Not only was it's cage in the kitchen but it also it had to put up with my mother being quite a heavy smoker. As her budgies used to last considerably longer than 3 years I would think that possibly your budgie was prone to getting breathing problems anyway. When my father was breeding, and showing, budgerigars in the 60's & 70's they were very popular pets so there were relatively many breeders about. Nowadays with their popularity pretty low there are few breeders around so possibly interbreeding could have caused problems in this budgie. As FE says, they are much better with company so keep the next one in the kitchen but make certain you use the extractor when cooking.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

2 old phrases came from Budgies and refer to those that were used down the Coal Mines to warn of Carbon Dioxide's presence.

"Losing your grip" and "Falling off your perch"

I don't think that your Budgie necessarily died from kitchen smells/gasses as I knew of many that lived long and happy lives in kitchens and even close by a coal fired Range, but it might have died from overweight, if people kept giving it snacks!

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

You can always tell when somebody has Never been down a Pit.

Try Canaries Click here and Click here

Budgerigar Click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days