We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£100

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Definitely doesnt buy what it used to. I remember when someone who had £100 in the bank was doing very well for themselves. But what prompted this thread was filling my car up on the way home from work, I put exactly £100 in. I know it was exactly that as the pump cut off at that point. I only got 73 litres, but I think a bit more could have gone in. OK, I got over a thousand miles on that (1016) but even so it was a sobering moment, even for someone like me who is used to clocking up £600+ on a fuel pump.

It's really brought home to me the erosion of the purchasing power of money these days.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I know exactly what you mean. I have had the same fright on several occasions recently.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

63mpg, not bad what do you drive?

I can only fit 40l in my Mini Cooper Diesel tank and I get around 530 miles of 75mph motorway driving

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

"63mpg, not bad what do you drive?"

Peugeot 406 2.0 Hdi 110. Use the cruise control lots, and always do 50-55 mph on motorways.

(But Mrs WTM's panda diesel does those fuel consumption figures chugging round town etc.)

Figures are based on mileages and fuel put in, not the trip computer, which is only economical with the truth :)

WTM

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I remember filling a tank with about 20 gallons in about 1962 into a MG TC for ,I think, about 5/- (20p) a gallon.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

I work 65 miles away from home three days a week, so no time to drive at 50, but I suppose driving a truck gets you used to speeds like that.

I'd be interested in what MPG I'd get in my car driving at 50 for a week, the manual claims 80

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I remember moving from one garage when I was unable to get five gallons for a pound. Now I am shocked when I fill up my wife's Real Mini - luckily I only have to do it every six months.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I got a shock recently at the prices on display at a local laundrette. 2 double-size quilts cleaned for 'only 20 pounds!' Prices for smaller items of clothing were also a bit steep.(to me)

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I recall filling the tank on an original Mini for under a fiver,and sulking when it was costing me £15(if I lifted the nozzle out & waited for the foam to disperse)I recently filled my latest car with diesel,and was starting to wonder if I actually had the means to pay so chickened out at £55,though it still did over 400 miles with the fuel guage still on half.I still find it slightly amusing how winter I get 43 MPG & as the weather warmed up it increased to (last check) 47 MPG. :)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can remember taking £10 on my first holiday on my own for a weeks camping in Wales in 1973, by 1980 £100 spending money for a week in Greece was needed, around 1990 a £100 was only enough for a weeks camping in the Lakes, by 2000 £100 was enough for the annual test match weekend, but this weekend I'll need near on £100 a day at the test match.

Now I'm sounding like my dad... when I were a lad...!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

we have a camper van and the cost of fuel has limited our trips due to cost.

played around with cruise control but find using gears saves more fuel, maybe be better in france where long flat empty motorways are.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features