We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home Secretary Declines to Meet Police Federation Chair

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Regardless of whether such a meeting would have achieved anything other than wasting her time, as a public relations exercise, in the present situation, that decision was a disaster.

http://inagist.com/BBCNews/101267342658502657/

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Like many Unions the Federation rarely represent the view of the overwhelming majority of the police officers they purport to represent.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

I can't see anything about Ms May refusing to meet the VC of the Police Federation. This is the only part of the BBC live feed I can find that mentions the Police Federation

*1621: Simon Reed, Vice Chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales reacts to Theresa May's cancelling of all police leave. He tells BBC 5 live officers accept there is a "national emergency" and understand the nature of their job means this can sometimes happen. But, he says, many officers will be left "out of pocket" as they will not be able to go on the holiday they paid for and will not be compensated for the money lost. Some members of the police officers have worked up to 36 hours with no rest, he adds.*

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

alan14

To support the OP i also read the earlier report saying Teresa May had declined to meet the Federation representative.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Found it

1348: The Police Federation says Home Secretary Theresa May has refused to meet its chairman Paul McKeever this week to discuss the policing of the riots. A statement is awated from the Home Office.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It was only a blog on the BBC

The use of the word disaster was very much overstating the situation.

I think describing it as "inappropriate at this time" would perhaps have been better.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sorry.

I thought the words "in the present situation, " conveyed the same sense as "inappropriate at this time".

Apparently not.

Obviously the word "disaster" was overstating the situation, as no-one else seems to have made much of it, except me!

(Why has my spellchecker suddenlt stopped working?)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow