We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Government Websites

Scrivers

Likes # 0

Government websites do not work with Google Chrome. I recently applied for a photocard drivers licence using Chrome. It took me all day during which time the site froze over and over again. I even got to the "Pay" part and still the site froze. The following day I tried again - same thing. I phoned a number provided during the process and they said it must be my computer, which got me thinking. I'll try using Internet Explorer, I thought. Within 3 mins I'd completed the procedure. I had a similar experience when applying for an E111 card and again when applying for a pension forecast. All worked fine with Internet Explorer but not with Google Chrome. I did phone the DVLA and informed them of the problem. They said they were not aware but would act on it - mmmmmh!!!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

This has always been a problem - and always will be - website builders get something nice and stable then the browser suppliers bring out the latest 'improved' version and the web designers have to modify their code to adapt. IE is notorious for not conforming to the standards, although it has the biggest share of the market, so website designers design for it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm not sure this is the case.

I've used Google Chrome for the last couple of years, since the late Beta phase and have experienced no problems renewing my tax disc every 6 months.

I now only use IE for a couple of work related web sites that refuse to work in Chrome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...