We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Did violent video games cause London riots?

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any truth in a policeman's claim that violent games such as Grand Theft Auto cause riots like the ones we're seeing in London and other UK cities right now?

This is already being debated on games sites, and is sure to crop up in the speeches of politicians returning early from their summer holidays.

We'd like to know your thoughts on computer games and real-life violence.

Like this post
kev d

Likes # 0

Violent games such as Grand Theft Auto do not cause riots. Nor does being unemployed. If they did we would see millions on the streets rioting and looting every day of the week. I would suggest that the fundamental reasons lie closer to home. There are a lot of "parents" out there who should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - the sad thing is they do not give a damn.

Like this post  
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

well put Kev d

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

If games influenced my reality,then I'd drive around at 100 mph.I dont because I know I'd likely die.

The riots are simply driven by greed,or total idiocy(trashing a McDonalds and viewed cooking burgers inside)A curfew should be imposed and anyone outside after the alotted time should expect to be questioned as to why.If the lawlessness continues,then Britain will have to become a police state with strict sanctions.The Police are apparently insisting that nobody covers their faces,presumably so that all the photographs/CCTV images can be examined and the looters/rioters/vandals/arsonists indentified.The biggest problems in the future will be what to do with the hundreds of criminals,the jails are already full so no lengthy sentences can be handed down.

As has been stated earlier in this thread,the Parents of the youths should be ashamed of themselves,they cannot possibly condone their offsprings behaviour.I heard a polititian on TV ask that anyone who finds their offspring has aquired a new item ask where it came from,and if the answers cagey,turn the little sods in to the police.I very much doubt that anyone will actually do this.The youth of today have had it all too easy,no corporal punishment,the worst that will happen to them is an ASBO or a tag.

Some of the rioters have used the excuse that the police started it by being harsh & hitting people with batons/riot shields to which I say tough If these thugs weren't wandering the streets,then the police wouldn't be able to hit them.I hope the police start to tackle each incident with really hard responses,then perhaps the Facebook/Blackberry organisers would think twice before ordering the mobs to attack,or maybe the yobs would be to scared of getting a beating to continue wrecking communities.I can see communities getting so incensed at the apparent lack of policing that they resort to vigilanties which will do little but increase the gap between ordinary people & the police.The police ask for respect,but rarely seem to respect the communities they're supposed to be policing.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"In violent games, there are no life and death consequences except for those utterly addicted. There is no bonding with humanity."

You mean like there was in Auschwitz?

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

I think that it's not just one factor which has caused all this mayhem but several different things.

We are now living in a permissive society where the human rights act has been misused and twisted out of its intended purpose. I hope it's original intention was to further protect the majority of decent law-abiding citizens, but its misguided interpretations has given more protection to criminals and miscreants.

Another factor is because our prisons are filled to burst guidelines set out by the government have forced judges and magistrates to dish out lesser sentences, so instead of sending criminals to prison they're let off with a punishment which in real terms is nothing less than a slap on the wrist. So the inevitable outcome is that anyone with criminal inclinations perceive there is no deterant if they're caught committing a crime.

Another factor is the gradual breakdown of stable family life, where the parents have split up and the kids feel unworthy because the departed parent doesn't love or care for them anymore.

Another factor is because unemployment is high the kids feel there is little future for them and any ambition, however faint, has been completely obliterated.

Another factor is the authority figures who run their country have been caught being corrupt and fiddling their expenses, taking bribes and in their eyes have been stealing, albeit in a 'legal' way. They have also seen the banking system collapse, been saved by the tax payers, and yet the bankers have been sticking two fingers up at them whilst taking ever bigger and bigger bonuses while making it ever harder for businesses and mortgage payers.

Another factor is boredom. There isn't much for kids to do and causing mayhem is very exciting for them.

Another factor is easy communication. The internet for example ensures a very speedy response from the masses is people want to cause trouble.

But with all these factors in mind, perhaps pc games can exacerbate the situation.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Yep it's everybody's elses fault.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Computer games may have an effect, but a greater effect is the unwillingness of parents to exert control and education - especially those of morals - in the home. This is exacerbated by a lack of discipline in schools which may easily have resulted from the 'rules' surrounding corporal punishment, detention and similar.

It has become apparent over the years since I left school that a decline in behaviour has accelerated. Whether there is a single cause I doubt, but I also doubt that society allowing the young to do exactly as they want is a good thing. Perhaps it is time for the human 'animal' to look again at our cousins in the wild animal world and learn from them about parenting, discipline and control of the young. It may well result in a better world.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Looking at the standard of youngster involved in the riots, makes me think that maybe their parents have been from exactly the same mould when they were younger. Perhaps they have been egged on by their parents to go out and cause mayhem. (Oh yes! bring back a telly while you're at it!)

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

England oh England, green and pleasant land that you were, what’s gone wrong?

Has a mix of people, a mix of cultures, people losing their roots caused England to become a mixed up land with mixed up people, people with no sense of real belonging? Is that the real problem?

When I was growing up I knew everyone around and they knew me. I didn’t realise it then but we were a community, not what you would call close knit necessarily but close enough to know that you didn’t do harm to others and if anyone needed help you gave it without a thought. Neighbourliness, that’s all it was.

Of course people didn’t travel so much back then. I doubt my old granny ever went fifty miles away in her life. I had cause to visit my old village recently and stayed overnight. The village has grown out of all recognition. With an old friend we went to the pub where my father was landlord and where I was brought up. My friend didn’t know anyone in the place. Changes like this are inevitable I suppose but if a place like that once was now has no community spirit, people not knowing each other, people not caring, people with no sense of belonging then the cities have no chance.

I’m pleased I am of the age where I’m on the way out rather than on the way in. Truly.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 1

fourm member

No argument from me. I'm sure lots of people had fathers like yours.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback