We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If It Ain't Broke ...........

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Surfing quite happily for many months, all serene, no problems, until I chanced on a glowing review of Firefox 5 in this months PCA.

I'll have some of that, I thought.

Duly downloaded, installed, fired up and fifteen seconds later I'm into the two hour routine of uninstall, Ccleaner, find my original download file, reinstall and configure the original version.

How many times has it been said on here "If it ain't broke..."?

How many times have I said it myself?

No fool like an old fool!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I think we've all done that in the past, now-a-days I'm a little more patient and let the developers iron all the bugs before I install. I must admit, Linux is useful as I can load in my local account and if I don't like it I just delete it without doing any harm. I tried FF5 but I couldn't see the point in changing at the moment seeing as some of the add-ons are not supported in it yet.

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

That was the mistake I made with Firefox 5, the browser itself has been great but I miss having Mcafee Site Advisor which isn't compatible as of the last time I checked.

I have had to switch to WoT and Avast has installed something similar too but it just isn't the same as what I am accustomed to.

Thankfully No Script and Flashblock works which are my two main plug-ins for Firefox that I just cannot surf without any more.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

You should have done it when Win 95 was the norm, it would have been a all night job

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Running XP? FF5 known not to work with XP

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"No fool like an old fool!"

Perhaps you're being a little hard on yourself?

We're all human, and it's sometimes difficult to resist the lure of that shiny new thing from the shiny new shop. When it comes to software it's reasonable enough to think that version Y will be an improvement on version X, but the truth is, the millions of subtly different hardware and software combinations out there are the final arbiters of what's good and what's not so good.

I recently had to uninstall IE9 and reinstall IE8 because my bank's slick new online banking site didn't work with Chrome or IE9 - it wouldn't let me in.

When I suggested to the online team that spending squillions on a new banking site which didn't work with one of the world's most popular browsers was a bit of an embarrassment they had to agree. That didn't mean they did anything about it, but at least they saw my point.

I can totally sympathise with your point of view.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

It isn't just Firefox as Windows Live updated itself a couple of days ago and now shows users first and last names when chatting to friends or family in Messenger. No nicknames or just first names anymore. Who in their right mind thought of that one?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

15 seconds! That's a fair trial.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"15 seconds! That's a fair trial."

It was broke.

I fixed it!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

"If it ain't broke" I,m thinking of taking a chance and upgrading to DOS 3.3!!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

FF5 did advise me that certain plugs-in would not work- so I was able to abort the install.

When ever an update comes in and if it works I copy the download to a folder of similar programs in my external drive.

So if I have to revert- because of a subsequent problem -I know where to find it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers