We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it Time to Shut the MET down and start again

zzzz999

Likes # 0

Yet again, we find out that the MET have lied regarding a fatal shooting. The 'gansta' that opened fire on them (and appears to be the catalyst for the Tottenham riots) forced them to return fire and kill him - evidenced by the bullet in the police radio. Well, guess what, the bullet fired 'at' the police, that ended up embedded in the radio of a police car, was a police issue bullet fired from a police gun.

We have had men carrying chair legs being shot and of course Brazilian plumbers (that story changed about 6 times as the police were caught out by CCTV and witnesses). We have had the shameful behaviour of the MET with regard to News International and we even have had a senior MET officer admit that as an organisation its institutionalised racist.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I don't remember the Tonypandy riots"

You didn't say within your memory, you said never.

"Stories that the troops fired on miners are totally without foundation however, although they persist in Wales to this day."

Not at all sure that this is relevant to the current context, however, they did fire during the Monmouthshire riots, another occasion when troops were deployed on the mainland.

As I said in another context, riots are nothing new.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Spider 9 take the poll tax riots in 1990 this was a political one although probably high jacked by some elements of society this was the point I was making the latest riots are just down to greed and lawlessness .

You must forgive me if I did not read your whole post before spotting your tongue in cheek comment but it was before 5 o'clock in the morning and all my mental function had not cut in hence the sift instead of shift in the post

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Sorry, you misunderstood me, I did google to try to find references to troops being deployed on the mainland against British citizens and couldn't find anything at all, I was probably using the wrong search terms.

I'm afraid I didn't take history to O Level, because it didn't fit with my other courses, this is something I've come to regret, history would have served me far better than geography.

Regarding the use of the Army on British soil against British citizens. This is something at is actually illegal in the United States, a law brought in force to prevent any chance of a military coup. This means the army cannot operate on US soil in any capacity, including peaceful work like rescues during Hurricane Katrina and the like, or law enforcement work.

Instead they have the National Guard, who are brought in during times of riots or humanitarian work.

Maybe this is something the Government could think about, to redeploy all the troops they're about to make redundant. The could pay them using a different budget so the armed forces don't foot the bill for domestic security.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

john52

Easy mistake to make, no offence taken!

I think we agree in the main about this matter, these rioters are lawless criminal elements and should be dealt with as such.

In the longer term reasons have to be found and addressed, or this type of behaviour will get much worse and more frequent.

Many of those arrested are said to be 'middle class students' - not the 'feral' offspring we immediately think of - who now have instant communications and the ability to organise themselves. Very worrying.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

spider9

Many of those arrested are said to be 'middle class students'

If that is the case it is really worse than it appears but just because you are middle class your are not immune from lawless greedy behaviour as history has proved but I would be interested to know what source the information come from . I think the main difference from previous riots is the instant communications and the ability to organise themselves as you have pointed out in your above post

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

The 'source' of the information regarding those arrested came as part of the discussions on 'Newsnight' last night, and I accept they were only 'hearsay' and not meant to be proof of anything.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14. It is irrelevant to this thread really but troops have been used against civilians on the mainland. See Peterloo Massacre.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Thank you for your 12:23 a.m. post - apology appreciated and accepted.

As you say, I'm likely to to say that the Police do a hard job - two of my brothers have been in the service, and over the years I heard a great deal about the job from their points of view, so that's going to have its effect.

I accept that you didn't intend to be spiteful - let's leave it at that and move on, as they say.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July