We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it Time to Shut the MET down and start again

zzzz999

Likes # 0

Yet again, we find out that the MET have lied regarding a fatal shooting. The 'gansta' that opened fire on them (and appears to be the catalyst for the Tottenham riots) forced them to return fire and kill him - evidenced by the bullet in the police radio. Well, guess what, the bullet fired 'at' the police, that ended up embedded in the radio of a police car, was a police issue bullet fired from a police gun.

We have had men carrying chair legs being shot and of course Brazilian plumbers (that story changed about 6 times as the police were caught out by CCTV and witnesses). We have had the shameful behaviour of the MET with regard to News International and we even have had a senior MET officer admit that as an organisation its institutionalised racist.

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

So where are the police, total anarchy??

How is that when the silly corrupt Tories are in power this happens quite often?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

To be honest there's now some doubt that the gun was visible at the time he was shot, it may have been in his sock.

The fact that there's a bullet embedded in a radio is odd, and it being a police issue bullet is odder still.

In order to shoot a person who's in a car you would have to be quite close. So the person shooting at the police office, if it was the guy who's now dead, would be equally close.

Police radios are largely plastic, with circuit boards & stuff inside, and a Li-Ion battery much like a mobile phone.

The cartridge must have been very lightly loaded for the bullet to be stopped by the radio, I would have expected it to go straight through and into the officer's flak jacket...

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

So what happened to the so called taser gun

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Yet again, we find out that the MET have lied regarding a fatal shooting"

Do we - where has that been announced? I know that The Guardian published a report that there were doubts about the origin of the bullet found lodged in a Police radio, but as far as I'm aware there has been no official announcement about the bullet, so how do 'we' suddenly decide that the Police have lied?

Isn't it better to wait for the facts to emerge before leaping into a silly proposal that the Metropolitan Police should be disbanded, and a new police force set up? I've heard some daft ideas, but that is a real prize-winner.

I wonder how some of those people who just love to knee-jerk and condemn the police over more or less every incident might act if they found themselves on a London Street facing a situation in which a wanted man has to be arrested, when suddenly someone starts waving a gun around.

I know someone who was until fairly recently an armed officer in the Diplomatic protection section of the Metropolitan Police. He says that before anyone launches into a diatribe about how the Police kill people at the drop of a hat he or she ought to try standing alone in a cold, wet street at night with a gun, knowing that the person or building you are guarding is a target, and feeling the knot of tension in your stomach every time a car backfires, or a motorbike with two men on it roars past.

Policing one of the world's biggest cities is a difficult and often very dangerous job. There are people out there who would kill a Police officer without a moment's hesitation if it meant avoiding arrest, and if you're an armed officer you will, sooner or later, have to face a situation in which you may be ordered to fire on an armed civilian. It's something that every officer dreads, because it always means an inquiry, and generally leads to a wave of adverse press speculation.

The fact that you may have been instrumental in removing a serious threat to public safety is rapidly forgotten as some people fall over themselves to condemn your action. Those same people would no doubt expect you to risk your own life to protect them, should the need arise.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

Without wishing to appear sycophantic, your post was absolutely spot-on. The people who come on here and rail about everything that the police do should, as you say, try it out first (yet, hopefully, none of them would pass the pyschological criteria for holding a police firearm!).

ronnie

"How is that when the silly corrupt Tories are in power this happens quite often?"

If that doesn't equal your usual 'crazy' posts, then it's still hilarious.

"Nurse" !!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"I do find it amusing that rather than accept that the confusion of a dangerous and chaotic incident means that intial information is incomplete the assumption is that, during that same chaotic time, everyone involved became part of some devious cover-up".

Well, FE and FM, I wait patiently for something like that to be confirmed or become so obvious that confirmation is not needed.

It would still, however, be no excuse for arson and "looting".

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"I wonder how some of those people who just love to knee-jerk and condemn the police over more or less every incident..."

You mean every time they kill someone with aparently no good reason?

"...might act if they found themselves on a London Street facing a situation in which a wanted man has to be arrested, when suddenly someone starts waving a gun around. "

You paint a great but totally irrelevant picture.

"I know someone who was until fairly recently an armed officer in the Diplomatic protection section of the Metropolitan Police. He says that before anyone launches into a diatribe about how the Police kill people at the drop of a hat he or she ought to try standing alone in a cold, wet street at night with a gun, knowing that the person or building you are guarding is a target, and feeling the knot of tension in your stomach every time a car backfires, or a motorbike with two men on it roars past."

Well, they seem to be killing and injuring and assaulting a lot lately. Again, you paint a nice picture though, as does your friend. Forgive my commenting on him, but you did not have to drag him into it.

"Policing one of the world's biggest cities is a difficult and often very dangerous job. There are people out there who would kill a Police officer without a moment's hesitation if it meant avoiding arrest, and if you're an armed officer you will, sooner or later, have to face a situation in which you may be ordered to fire on an armed civilian. It's something that every officer dreads, because it always means an inquiry, and generally leads to a wave of adverse press speculation."

Aw, bless them. How odd that power shoudl equal responsibility and accountability

The fact that you may have been instrumental in removing a serious threat to public safety is rapidly forgotten as some people fall over themselves to condemn your action. Those same people would no doubt expect you to risk your own life to protect them, should the need arise.

How dare people expect the Police to do their job, for which they signed up in full knowledge of what they were agreeing to.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

It's all these knee JERK reactions with assumptions that the police have lied that fuel the excuses for the crimanals that riot.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

There's little point in trying to discuss a serious subject with someone who relies on childish cynicism to make a point.

The friend that paints a nice picture of how it feels to be a Police officer is actually one of my brothers. I dragged him into it - as you put it - because - unlike you - he knows what he's talking about.

Police officers don't sign up in "full knowledge of what they were agreeing to" when it comes to being attacked on the streets by mobs of brain-dead thugs with petrol bombs and half bricks. Officers do face it, however, and I would have thought that the least we could do is afford them at least a tiny bit of respect for the work they do on our behalf, rather than being subjected to juvenile comments such as "Aw, bless them" when someone points out that they do a difficult, and largely thankless job.

In the years from 2000 to 2007 criminals killed thirteen police officers in the execution of their duty. In the same period the Police shot and killed 17 people. I imagine that the families of all those officers feel that their loved ones were killed "with apparently no good reason", but I doubt I shall see you paying them the least bit of respect - you'll be too busy sneering at me for daring to show a bit of support for the job the police do for us.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......