We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCA and Royal Mail fail me again

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

My October issue of PCA arrived yesterday whilst I was out. The magazine and plastic packaging were separate - the plastic envelope had been slit open (or not sealed in the first place) at both ends - hence no DVD or anything else that should have been there and a damaged magazine.

I know PCA give a discount to subscribers and (should) post the magazine earlier than the 'on the shelf' date, however I also feel the packaging and transport method need sorting out. Of late I have had magazines not arrive at all, arrive damaged to the point of being waste paper and now incomplete - as well as being apparently well thumbed!!

Come on PCA. You are part of a large group and should be capable of ensuring decent quality packaging and ensuring your carrier does the job it is paid for properly.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I echo your criticism of the Royal Mail. I used to be able to post a letter knowing it would get to destination point. But posting a letter is now a no-no if I can deliver it personally..locally. Christmas cards included. HB

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

My intelligent postman decided that an A4 photo with a cardboard support and a do not bend label would fit through my letterbox with a bit of persuasion, hence a very creased photo which I have since had emailed to me to replace damaged item.

If he can read the address why not the do not bend label on the front?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi johndrew

Although I sympathise, at least - albeit badly damaged & disk missing - you do get them. I on the other hand am still waiting for my first foray into the PCA mag to arrive. I of course know it will now, never arrive, as too many months have passed.

Unlike with you though, It's no great loss on my part as it was a freebie, to see if I liked it enough to order it - like you - on a regular basis. But after my own experience and now hearing about yours. There will be no surprise then, to anyone concerned to learn, that I won't be!

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

My PCA arrived yesterday with the plastic bag ripped and one end of the bag apparently missing. The DVD fellout when postie put it through the letter box so I have that and there was no damage to the magazine. It looks as though the plastic bag was perhaps of poor quality, and damaged before being sorted at the sorting office.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It gives me some comfort - though no pleasure - to hear that others are sharing my experiences with PCA/Royal Mail.

The plastic bag problem appears endemic. What saddens me is that newspaper 'add-ons' are wrapped in plastic that is very secure and is unlikely to get torn yet a more expensive magazine appears to pay more for the self-advertising of IDG/PCA printed on the plastic than the plastic itself. I seem to remember a time when similar, good quality plastic wrapping was used for copies of PCA - is this yet more progress I wonder. Perhaps the excuse will be it is for 'green' reasons that such flimsy material is used, however I see little to promote the 'green' element when replacement DVDs/magazines are required.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

To some of you, but not by any means all.

Has it occurred to you that the way your letter box is built may be, in some way, to blame for the damage done to any Post that is put through it.

Many are too small, their measurements should be sufficient

1. that envelope size C4 (229 mm × 324 mm) must be deliverable without bending or damage;
  2. that the internal volume must able to hold at least a 40 mm high bundle of C4 envelopes;
  3. an aperture width of either 230–280 mm (> C4 width) or 325–400 mm (> C4 height);
  4. an aperture height of 30–35 mm;

And, of course, sometimes the draft extruder is so stiff as to make it almost impossible for anything other than a metal plate to go through the slot.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

wee eddie

All other mail that comes through my letter box is fine - including holiday brochures which are also wrapped in plastic.

Other than, perhaps, the odd Victorian letter box in older properties, I would suggest all homes have a standard size of aperture and are fitted with a regular size flap.

Whilst I agree a draught excluder may inhibit lighter, thinner letters to some extent, I have yet to see a correctly covered magazine damaged by them. They are, after all, only fairly light bristle designed to reduced airflow rather than a solid material. If you are aware of an excluder capable of stripping away a plastic covering, I would suggest it is far from standard and would be likely to act as a shredder on paper.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Hi, guys.

Our subscriptions department will be in touch. The vast majority of magazines are delivered to subscribers on time and before the magazine hits the newsstand.

Unfortunately the postal service does mash a few packages every now and again, and we will of course send out replacements as soon as we're notified.

We will also look into the postal packaging following your comments.

Regards,

Simon Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've just bought mine via the Zinio app on my iPad. Beats the printed version hands down and is considerably cheaper as well.

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

just a comment on the type of letterbox in relation to the damage. Our letterbox is the one through which PCA always comes. This is the first time I have experienced any damage and as I commented above the Magazine was undamaged and I have the DVD also undamaged.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK