We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Open University Fees

bremner
Resolved

Likes # 0

As one of the many on here who have studied with the OU I am stunned with their announcement of their new fees.

The maximum study a student can undertake in one year is 120 points - this means they would study for three years to acheive a standard degree. Current fees would be in the region of £700 for a sixty point course hence £1400 for a year.

The new fee from 2012 for 120 points is £5000, a threefold increase.

The majority of those who study with the OU are mature students who have a desire to return to education for many varied reasons. I think this increase, forced on the OU by government changes in higher education funding will result in a large percentage of those mature students dropping their studies or never starting.

Whether the slack will be taken up by school leavers seeing this as a cheaper alternative to traditional university study remains to be seen.

Thoughts?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

CIG

You are now just talking semantics

No student is forced to have a maintenance loan or tuition loan, but if they do it is their student loan, one amount one repayment scheme.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

"No student is forced to have a maintenance loan or tuition loan"

I don't recall saying anything about students "being forced" to take these loans.

I was, however, pointing out the various elements of the Student Loan package to those amongst us who don't, or may not, know.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I was not quoting you I was making a statement.

"I was, however, pointing out the various elements of the Student Loan package to those amongst us who don't, or may not, know".

However earlier you said "but the Student Loan (which is nowhere near £9,000 or even £5,000) is nothing to do with paying for Tuition Fees"

Lets agree then that a student loan is for maintenance and tuition fees so everyone is clear.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bremner

For the record....

There are two totally separate loans available to students. One is a course tuition fee loan, and one is a maintenance loan to cover the cost of living expenses.

The vast majority of university students apply for both, and these are paid directly to the student at the start of each university year as a combined payment. The fact remains however, that they are distinct and separate loans.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Yes I am very aware as I have already said at 4.12pm but the simple fact is that together they are the Students Loan.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

... and all this all came from Clapton stating that tuition fees were nothing to do with the Student loan.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite