We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

American Money Matters

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I don't normally do "serious" ... But I would like to know who do the Americans owe all the money to? I thought they owned most of the money in the world. I know we in the U.K. always seem to be in debt, which makes me wonder how we can afford to give money to other countries such as India and Pakistan, who obviously don't need it. Have we paid off our post war debt yet? No body tells me these things so I don't know, I believe in the end it doesn't matter. We can always go back to bartering.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Somebody said if America sneezes the rest of the world will catch a cold. I think America stiffled that sneeze today.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

link text

Who owns..click on the pages 1-19.

link text

read this.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

link text

this is ours with no country by country comparison,%35 owned by foreign investors.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

"Have we paid off our post war debt yet?" Yes, 31st December 2006 was the last payment.

Like this post  
Wilham

Likes # 0

wiz-king.
The last maybe, ... not the final. More payments are to come when the the government starts to settle its three and a half per cent War Loan.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"who do the Americans owe all the money to?"

They owe quite a lot of it to us. UK investors (individuals and institutions) own approximately £200 billion worth of American debt, which is why investment bankers have been having a particularly busy time of it recently - trying to advise their jumpy clients on the likelihood of it all going horribly wrong. Had America defaulted our own economy would have been dealt a vicious blow at a time when we least need it.

Massive amounts of American debt are owned by China and Japan. In the unlikely event of those two countries cooperating to flood the market with their US bond holdings they could bring the American economy to a grinding halt in no time at all, and precipitate a recession of cataclysmic proportions. It's one of the reasons why you'll see the American government making a very big fuss of any high-ranking Chinese government official who visits the country.

Once you start analysing international debt you begin to realise just how desperately we all need one thing more than any other - stability. It takes very little to unsettle investors, both huge and small, and a confidence landslide, once started, would be almost impossible to stop. We should all feel mightily relieved that the Obama administration has managed to avert a default situation - even if it is only a temporary respite.

The world needs economic stability, and at the moment that's not in abundant supply.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We made the final payment on our post WWII loans from America on 31st december 2006, as wiz-king points out. The loan was made to help us through the post-war aftermath and not - as many people think - to help us fight the war itself. That help came by way of the lend-lease programme, which was entirely different.

What we haven't done is pay off our First World war debt to America. That amounted to $4.4 billion in 1934, which equated to around £866m at the exchange rate in force then.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalu - 'We can always go back to bartering.' I like that idea.

Don't tell any one but...

My American friend lives in a block of flats which has 2 big communal washing-machines and 2 big tumble driers.He pays a big rent. When on certain days he can't manage his allotted wash day, I volunteer to do his washing (ie keep his 75 minute slot) and at the same time I can get my king-size duvet cleaned and dried.

I hope the forum editor approves...ok he's not an American :o)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I had no idea that we still owed for the Great War.

A google search doesn't bring much up on it, but plenty on Germany's great War debt being paid off in 2010. I always thought that was why they allowed the between the wars hyper-inflation to thrive, to devalue the value of their debt and write it off the books early.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I know that running a families budget is different to running a countries budget but I can't understand why the US still has a AAA credit rating when it has reached it's debt ceiling and it needs to borrow more (an additional $2.3 trillion) in order to pay the interest on the debt !?

What a crazy way to run a countries finances and the same goes for Greece for example or am I being naive ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK