We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Conservative MP calls for a return of the death penalty.

Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

From the BBC: BBC News

My own view is that the death penalty no longer has a place in a civilised society.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

This very evocative subject that has been discussed many many times on this forum and which often gets very heated.

I have one simple comment. I know we live in a parliamentary democracy but I feel we should have been granted a referendum on this issue.

As signatories to the ECHR we could not now bring back capital punishment but we should have had the right to express our views.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

bremner

I agree, we should have had a referendum on this issue. The ECHR is another reason why we should get out of Europe.

I know it will never happen, but I would welcome the reintroduction of the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What's the betting that this MP will now receive all types of publicity about how very wrong he is, and he should perhaps resign immediately?.

If we had Sharia law, then this news item would not even be discussed!.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

It is my opinion that killing anyone, for any reason, other than self defence, is wrong, but by all means allow a Commons debate or a referendum (when the country can afford it) on the subject.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The timing is impeccable, just after the terrible events in Norway.But I see 'smokescreen' written all over this.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

If it's a question of whether death penalty should be on the table at all, much like nuclear bombs, then a referendum should be occasioned. But no referendum can possibly settle how and when it can be applied. Considering how protracted the debate within U.S. Congress was on $$$, a debate on death penalty application would be just as protracted. There are higher priority issues. Smokescreen!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Fortunately the vast majority of British people are imbued with a fair degree of common sense, so I can confidently predict that - even if we had a referendum - this country will not restore the death penalty; not now, and not in the foreseeable future.

State executions are barbaric and pointless. Endless studies have shown that the death penalty does not reduce the murder rate. I fail, therefore, to see a single reason why a truly civilised society like ours should go to the expense of conducting a referendum to decide whether or not to maintain the status quo. We don't (and shouldn't) execute people because they may have killed someone themselves, whatever the individual circumstances might be.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

death penalty should be brought back for murder

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I'm with the FE on this. Apart from the logical reasons there have also been too many mistakes made in recent years so unless we can bring people back to life again when we make these errors I think not.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"death penalty should be brought back for murder"

Is that it - no attempt to explain why?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...