We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile Phone - Progression

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Over the years, since the birth of the first mobile phone, their manufacturers have made huge strides in their progression. The first thing they did was to shrink them into virtual micro phones. Then they added games and further development came in leaps and bounds.

Now we can use them to surf the Internet, send and receive email's and watch films. Then, from just around the corner touch screen technology strolled in. Being a Techie and I guess some would say a Geek. It wouldn't be surprising that I personally, both welcome and receive all these technological breakthroughs in the mobile phone development, with open arms.

Although and here it comes, as ever it's never far away...'BUT' always with the but! There is one glaring problem with all this progression, that hitherto has been overlooked. For, it is, is it not, when all is said and done supposed to be a 'Mobile Phone'? Well, this, for me, is the oe thing in the greater scheme of things, fallen by the wayside. I think just about everyone - who doesn't live in a City - will know what I mean when I say the word 'connection'.

The mobile phone and its progression is a wondrous thing. But when all is said and done if I want to play games, watch films, surf the net, use a touch screen, send and receive email's, I can use a PC. Wether at home, at a friends or in an Internet café.

However, there can be times when we're out and about in the countryside and no where near a land line phone and need to make or receive a phone message. It could be an emergency!

What a fantastic achievement it would be if someone could invent a contraption, small enough to be carried in a pocket, that could be guaranteed to assist us to communicate with the outside world. I guess, just the emergency services would do for a start. What a breakthrough that would be!

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

Mine cost a fiver (new) and it works just fine.

Is yours broken?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi dagbladet

I've had cheap phones and expensive phones, different makes and different connection providers. From - as you - a phone for around £5 to a Smart Phone. T-Mobile - Virgin - O2 etc. They all have one thing in common 'Bad or Non-existant Connection'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's not the phone, it's if you can get a signal where you want to use it.

It's best to check the signal coverage area for each supplier before deciding.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Where are you travelling.

I live in the south Lakes, and my HTC Desire S can maintain at least a voice connection in most places. Sometimes in a deep valley the connection can drop, but it's a rare occurrence.

Analogue mobile signals were better, as they could travel further, but when we switched to digital signals at much higher frequencies more transmitters are necessary to maintain the same coverage, and nimbys put in complaints for each new mast application.

The same is true for Freeview TV, many more masts have had to be planted to reach digital blackspots, and not all have been covered.

As for mobiles, BT were going to put repeaters on all their rural phone boxes as they've all got an ADSL link to BTs backbone, but that didn't seem to get the go ahead.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I live on the western edge of the Lake District and despite careful choice of provider when I needed a mobile for my business,the only way I could get a signal at home was to visit the loo,open the window & hold my phone outside(but it worked flawlessly in the town)Years later,the majority of main providers can be used (apart from 3) and even allow BB speeds for internet access.The Chairman of Tourism often appears in the local paper appealing to BT not to remove phone boxes in the more remote areas as mobiles simply cannot get a signal,yet BT still removed one phone box in a popular tourist location as it had been used three times in a whole year.There was a recent news story about a very young lad having to run miles to get help for his injured father,who'd fallen whilst out walking on the fells.If BT had left the phone box,the lad could've got help much more easily.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've had a mobile phone for more years than I care to remember. They are now significantly smaller and the coverage is vastly superior to when I first had one. The number of masts that now exist is far more. People complain about having a mast near them and then also complain about their phone not working.

Battery life increased but now my latest smartphone has gone backwards a little and if I use GPS, etc then it's almost as bad as several years ago.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The reason that you lot that live out in the country get a poor or non exsistant connection is becaus thre are to many of you that don't want those ugly phone masts round here (NIMBY'S) Therefore poor coverage!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Strawballs

Personally no problem with phone masts, they look a lot better than most of the run down farms and rusting farm machinery that litters the countryside

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The masts don't have to look very ugly Mast disguised as a treeand as alan14 stated they are better than the rusty farm machinery. Problems can occur where it is very hilly.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"What a fantastic achievement it would be if someone could invent a contraption, small enough to be carried in a pocket, that could be guaranteed to assist us to communicate with the outside world"

They have.

It's called a satellite phone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote