We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Today - The Weather and Gooseberries.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

The BBC's Radio4 'Today' is a stripped-down version due to jounalists' industrial action.Worth a listen.It will keep John and Sarah on their toes this morning...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm not sure where the gooseberries come in, but after washing them, cover them in water with some lemon juice, 25% sugar and a cinnamon stick, bring to the boil, simmer until they start to split, leave to cool, then chill in the fridge and serve with ice cream. Pudding heaven...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - 'the weather and gooseberries' were two of the highlighted featured topics. I enjoyed today's 'Today' this morning. I always knew you were a Gooseberry Fool :o)

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I inherited a couple of gooseberry bushes in my garden which are still giving lovely small red gooseberries in abundance every year. My only problem is to beat the dickie birds to them as they ripen. Problem solved this year as I bought some netting to drape over the bushes. Result, a few nice goosegog pies in the freezer. Lovely grub, but I was getting sick of eating them too often. So froze them.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I once went to the pictures with my sister and her boyfriend - I was a gooseberry then...

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Prick the gooseberries then fill two thirds of a kilner jar with the berries and their weight in sugar. Top up the jar until full with GIN and leave it for about six months shaking occasionally.

The resultant juice is amazing and the fruit covered in cream is nearly as good!!!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Pine Man. Best suggestion i've heard in months. Do you think it will work with rum?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I agree with Bingalau's opinion!

It should work well with any spirit of your choice, but I would think gooseberries would be better in the white rum, or any other white spirit (except the stuff you use to clean paint brushes). For dark rum try plums or blackberries.

I think I now know what to plan for a Christmas pudding:)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Bingalu

Yup! I've tried that as well.

Actually at the moment, apart from some gooseberries in gin, I also have a jar containing fresh pineapple chunks, brown sugar and rum, which should also be left for about six months.

My advice to anybody trying either of these recipes is to shake the jars for the first two weeks then hide them! The temptation to attack them before the six months is up is unbeleivable.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...or cherries, there's plenty of them around at the moment and you get the added bonus of a cherry stone spitting contest!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Can I grow gooseberry bushes in big pots. I haven't got a garden...this year it's tomatoes and peppers.Hope to try new food crops next year. When I was a wee boy, me and my pals used to skip into a neighbour's garden and try some of the gooseberries. That was 45 years ago.Haven't eaten one since. Maybee it's time to relive the past.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do