We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 493

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All. This a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD, unposted with the inevitable plain back so no clues! It looks like lodge gates to me, but where? click here

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I was not as far out as I thought then really. I have actually been there many a time but couldn't think of anywhere because my mind was focused on that kind of lodge gate building and that there are places like that at the entrance to Walton Crematorium. Which is about a mile away.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd

Well done that man! I had given up hope :))

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I find it hard to believe that those cars were being used as late as 1951"

Been reflecting on that.

1951 was still a time of great austerity, rationing still very much in place, petrol rationing not long finished and most raw materials going to reconstruction of industry, rather than to luxury goods like cars.

A lot of it would also have been going to Germany to help rebuild that nation as a bulwark against communism, which was still very much a threat, even in the UK - only a few years before "The Red Flag" had been sung in the house of Commons, frightening the whole nation out of its wits!

There was still a fairly militant Labour government, albeit on its last legs, and in Liverpool there would still have been large numbers of people who were homeless or squatting.

It would not have been sensible for the Seftons, if they were indeed the hosts, and the Royals to have been swanning around Liverpool in a fleet of brand new, or even newish, luxury cars.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I still don't believe those cars were still active in '51.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 Well they obviously were still in use. Don't forget that most private cars were laid up during the war. Tyre and inner tubes removed and covered in French Chalk or talcum powder, up on blocks, fuel and oil removed. every little working part was greased up awaiting better days. Also of course inside garages to be out of the weather. So it's quite feasible to me that five or six years after the war these beauties were still running.

I remember finding a Daimler in a garage still laid up in about 1955 with a fiver still inside the driving licence in the glove box. The owner hadn't been able to recover it as he was looking after his wheelchair bound, seriously ill wife. He just didn't have the time or the inclination to worry about the car. I was offered the car at a bargain price but couldn't raise the money (£100) to buy it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK