We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 493

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All. This a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD, unposted with the inevitable plain back so no clues! It looks like lodge gates to me, but where? click here

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

No, they're all in British dress. There appears to be some extra wording chopped off just to the right, is this not available?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes its been cropped so it does not give the game away

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

To the right of the house someone has put a scruffy cross with a word below it but I can't read the word.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Brumas said "a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD", so who chopped part of it off? Am I being too simple?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The cars are predominately on the left side of the road (approaching)(British). The terrain looks flat. There looks like a presentation table on the right. The people on the right look better dressed than the people on the left.The year 1928, winter(the trees are bare, people are heavily clad). I think it might be a Royal Scottish Burgh...near Stirling.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Toneman

chopped part of it off? he did after scanning the photo

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

woodchip I did not tamper with the postcard - I scanned it just as I would any other card. As I said earlier, it is a genuine unidentified postcard, no trickery or editing has taken place, what would be the point of it?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Looking back on what I posted earlier I realised what I wrote sounded kind of ambiguous so I shall try again to clarify matters.

When I select a postcard for Friday night's ILTP I scan it and obviously obliterate the caption. Postcard 493 is, as I stated earlier, A GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD which has no identifying caption so none of us are the wiser as to where it actually is. Although it looks as though it has been cropped, believe me it hasn't!! As I said previously, what would be the point??

When I first started this off I had a huge pile of postcards, all without any identifying marks, and the whole object was to identify them.When I ran out of those I asked the regular respondees (is that a word?) if they would like me to continue using 'doctored' cards and the general consensus of opinion was yes, so here we are±

Sorry if this appears to be a bit of a rant but, if truth were known, I feel slightly miffed about the suggestion that I "chopped part of it off? he did after scanning the photo"

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I'm sure you wouldn't Brumas! BTW, you were so right to change to a mac. I wish I'd done so years ago :))

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm still convinced that the gateposts have Warwickshire bears holding staffs on them. Their muzzles are too long for flat faced cats, and too short for horses noses.

fm's chimney idea occurred to me, but you can see ornate brick chimneys all over the southern counties of England, I thing there was great competition in the 17-19th centuries to create unique chimney stacks. But I did find a chimney stack site Chimneys U Like

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite