We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

F1 to be shared by BBC & Sky

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think you know what I think of Sky, what do you make of a shared coverage with not all the race live on free to air?

Sky grab

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wonder why Sky doesn't take over the F1 coverage fully? Business people are fickle and need a return for their investments. They know the BBC will show all their prime allocated ads, whether on the car or helmet etc., of a driver, to all the people that choose to watch F1 on the BBC. Going half mast at it will surely disappoint the followers, fanatics and all, and possibly lose revenue? We shall wait and see.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I might note have an interested response to this question but most guys watchin it in the pub think it is boring.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

rdave13 - Wonder why Sky doesn't take over the F1 coverage fully?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020090/Blow-BBC-Sky-Sports-snatches-rights-screen-live-Formula-One-races.html

QUOTE: "Under the current Concorde Agreement - the commercial arrangement which binds together the teams, commercial rights holders CVC and motor sport's world governing body the FIA - a clause stipulates F1 must be free to air.

Mr Ecclestone is expected to argue that the contract has not been broken because half of the races will still be screened on the BBC."

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I'm not entirely sure that this deal with Sky will go ahead - it could all backfire quite badly. The Concorde Agreement for broadcasting (roughly) says that TV coverage should be free-to-air, which Sky Sports obviously isn't. I don't know the ins and outs of the Concorde Agreement, but in order for viewing figures not to drop three things would have to happen:

Of the existing F1 viewers

1. They would have to be current Sky Sports subscribers or
  2. Existing subscribers would have to be prepared to upgrade to Sky Sports or
  3. Non Sky subscribers would have to sign up to Sky Sports

Sky currently have better than 10m subscribers, which likely represents more than 8m households, or 20m people, excluding commercial subscriptions. I'm not sure that that is enough to retain viewing figures. Not at all sure.

In the end, if viewing drops too low then the teams will force CVC's hand. Then it's a question of which channel F1 goes to; BBC, ITV, C4 or C5.

The BBCs coverage for the last couple of seasons has been nothing short of superb. Far better than anything than has come before. They complain that it costs £20m to do, but then it gets more viewers on a Sunday than any other programme - and it's typically shown (race day) from the middle of the day. Hardly a peak viewing time! It makes me wonder what will be broadcast in its place. Murder She Wrote repeats, perhaps?

This all stinks of cash savings from a naive BBC controller, who doesn't understand what people actually want to watch, or how to control a budget to deliver popular viewing.

Maybe the Dept of Culture, Media and Sport should weigh in on this...on no, wait, there's no motorsport of any sort on the 'Crown Jewels' list of sports for the nation, despite almost all F1 teams being based and employing people in Britain.

Irrespective on how it plays out in the long term, CVC shouldn't be trying it on like this. F1 should be on free to air.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ahh CurlyWhirly, half free is good enough. 8-0

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Xbox gotham city racing game is good enough for me. The London scenes are good.No olympics scenic effects. Boris might be in the new edition.I am not kidding. have you seen all of those adverts. even up in bonny scotland..keeping it all low capitals at moment ... a year to go :-)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"TV coverage should be free-to-air, "

But no mention of "live"

My understanding is that only live broadcasts are affected by this new agreement.

BBC is still at liberty to show recordings.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But if it's your sport, watching a later recording is like reading yeaterday's newspaper at breakfast because you have to wait for next door to finish today's because they tipped the paperboy more than you can afford!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

QB

Couldn't agree more, see my post about MotoGP, above.

However, I was simply commenting on the previous posts which suggested that this new contract broke an existing legal agreement.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Still using the newspaper analogy, if you could only source news from one paper only, we'd see the monopolies commission stepping in. How many sports must Sky control before we see OfSky being set up to care for the viewers fair value for money access to non-footie sports?

It's not that I'm totally against Sky, and I accept that pay to watch is here to stay, it's their restrictive access that only offers an all or nothing option and sod everyone else attitude.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more