We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

F1 to be shared by BBC & Sky

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think you know what I think of Sky, what do you make of a shared coverage with not all the race live on free to air?

Sky grab

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

There are two sides to every story.

I have for some time been the victim of the opposite.

For many years MotoGP was broadcast live, via Eurosport, on Sky.

A few years ago the live franchise went to the BBC, who not only have such an inane commentary team that I get to screaming pitch and turn the sound off, but they sometimes don't show it live anyway, except "under the red button".

I don't watch F1, and I have sympathy for those who are about to lose it, but I hope the BBC economies will go as far as not bidding for the MotoGP contract.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

So it's not just me that objects to paying a maximum annual subscription for a minimum of viewing.

Today I listened to some of the test match on TMS,, I had a couple of hours of it on the telly in the pub (well it is Friday), and then I watched the C5 highlights. That's a lot of a faff, but the summer test matches are all that Sky have exclusivity on that interest me, I don't do football, and that is the vast majority of Sky Sports output.

It's time for them to look at pay as you watch options whereby you buy your own receiving equipment and pay for how much and what you choose to receive just like PAYG phones became the alternative to the once exclusive contract only option.

There's no reason that we shouldn't have pre-paid view cards, £10, £20, £50 etc, online instant purchases, 30 day stop/start subscriptions or a view 10% of the maximum output for 20% of the full subscription price.

If I felt I was getting value for what I watch, I would buy the UK test matches. But with their like it or lump it, all or nothing attitude, they won't get any of my money.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

How will the major sponsors react?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

I’ve watched F1 for a number of years and it’s one of the few sports that I really enjoy watching. In my opinion the BBC’s coverage of F1 is second to none and it’s such a shame that it’s now gone. At the moment I must admit to being a tad bit annoyed with the BBC. The first I heard of this was this afternoon when my wife sent me an e-mail to say that the BBC will only be showing some of the races and Sky will be showing them all. So we now have to face paying a subscription of about £35 a month to watch 30 minutes of a race followed by a 5 minute commercial break.
I just wonder who at the BBC decided that F1 wasn’t worth paying extra for. There doesn’t seem to have been any sort of consultation process (not that there has to be I know) or even a hint that they might loose F1. I for one wouldn’t have minded paying an extra £5, £10 or even £100 to keep F1 at the BBC and I’m certain that there are others who feel the same, a years sports subscription with Sky will cost over £400.

Bernie says that F1 gets the best of both worlds – I don’t get it.

The BBC says that it will still show the premier races, Monaco and Silverstone and highlights of all races so we won’t loose out – Stiff upper lip me thinks.

Sky says that we can watch F1 in glorious HD and 3D – My TV isn’t HD nor 3D.

I'm not happy but I guess that I'll get over it.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

BSkyB have just announced 2010-11 profits of £1 billion and 10 million subscribers.

They have a very successful business plan with every expectation of more subscribers as a result of their F1 contract.

Can't see them moving to pay as you view anytime soon and why should they want to.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I'm bitterly disappointed by this decision as I will miss some of the races that aren't covered by the BBC.

Even though the highlights will still be shown it just won't be the same.

I could get Sky again but I packed it in over 5 years ago due to all the repeats etc.

If I did decide to go back to Sky then I might as well transfer my broadband and telephone to them as well to save money.

This is because I'm paying £28.25 to O2 for my broadband and telephone and it would be better value to get all 3 services for just over £30 a month !

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Looks like it's going to be just what the teams are worried about, they want it kept to free to air so their sponsors get the best viewing figures!!

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

alan14 - The current F1 season has reached record viewing figures, which is entirely down to the excellent BBC coverage, and no adverts interrupting. ITV once dropped into adverts during the last lap.

I never went much on ITV's coverage as it really used to bug me when adverts would be shown whilst the action was taking place on the race track !

It's going to be as bad (I expect) with the Sky coverage and constant ad breaks.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I really don't want it to go to Sky but they have said that as with the football there will be no adverts during the race

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Strawballs - thank goodness for the clarity on ad breaks should I decide to go back to Sky.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?