We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drugs in Athletics

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Steve Cram suggest that "recreational" drugs are treated less seriously than performance enhancing drugs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14304851.stm

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying, but I take this to mean that it's one thing to sniff coke, but it's really serious if you sniff a Vick inhaler (contains ephedrine).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You can't have a halfway house with drugs in sport.

You either keep the present strict regime, or dump it for a free for all that leaves once fit bodies wrecked past age 30.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I simply can't see how taking so called "Recreational" drugs can be in any way justified. For once, UK athletics have this spot on. Whilst these drugs probably inhibit rather than improve a competitors performance, it's still wrong.

Legalise the lot? That's another debate.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

how can they justify illeagl drugs as ok, the man is off his head.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Lord Coe disagrees and wants to keep the existing rules.One of the points is that top athletes are role models, and should set an example by not taking any drugs neither performance enhancing nor illegal recreational drugs. I suppose legal non enhancing agents are a grey area.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The whole point about sport is how it puts one person (or a group of people) against another in a true test of physical and mental ability. In theory everyone starts from the same beginning on a journey of personal achievement.

That some will consistently do better than others is down to innate ability, a sense of commitment and self discipline, and a huge amount of hard work.

Taking any form of performance-enhancing drug is cheating, plain and simple, and if someone is caught doing it he or she should be severely penalised - such people bring shame on their sport.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Taking any form of performance-enhancing drug is cheating, plain and simple"

I don't think anyone is arguing with that.

The point under discussion is whether that should treated more seriously than taking cocaine or heroin, which are generally accepted as "recreational" drugs rather than performance enhancing.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Cocaine and heroin are illigal and as they are role models a ban should apply.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data