We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shed owners warned wire on windows could hurt burglars??

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Well i dont own a shed but believe me reading this story i think this country needs to shape up its laws and sharpish too! its about time the laws was changed to STOP this idiocy..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/outdoors/8318985/Shed-owners-warned-wire-on-windows-could-hurt-burglars.html

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Auto

Another non-story, perhaps just the Torygraph trying to keep the governments new tough-on-burglars stance, to the fore.

If you deliberately made protective devices to specifically hurt intruders then they might have a case to sue you (I seem to remember walls with glass shards built into the cement tops to deter climbing over!).

The present laws are adequate for the purpose, why do so many people shout "Change the law" at every opportunity? Idiocy!

Can you give some examples (with links) where burglars have successfully sued homeowners over wire mesh? I await with baited breath!!

Like this post
JanetO

Likes # 0

What a funny responce, spider9.

Yes, it's a sign of the times. We have barbed wire on our back garden fence to deter thieves and I often wonder in these criminal protective times if we'd get sued if the little sausages hurt themselves trying to rob us.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If I was in your jury JanetO, I would take the line that any injured criminals have to take full responsibility for any occupational injuries that occur in their line of work.

If they can't get decent insurance to cover themselves, it would surely be a case for the EU to take up with the restrictive practices of insurers on account of the burglars human right to insure themselves from the hazards of their chosen occupation.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Got barbed wire on back of my Fencing on my side, So if they get tangled up for trying to Rob me why should I be penalized. Had some Copper stolen other day while I was out so am installing Electric Iron Gates so I can shut them when I go out. Its about time they started penalizing the Guilty not the one loosing out

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

spider9 residents in part of Sheffield were told exactly the same thing after a series of thefts, so it's not new.

What the story didn't tell you was what happened to one of the residents of that village asking for advice on how to protect his electrical tools if he couldn't reinforce his windows.

Small extract,

But this week, Mr Bishop a former BBC engineer in his 60s, said that he had approached a PCSO after the meeting to find out how he could protect his electrical gear, which is worth thousands of pounds.

Rather than being given sensible advice about how to store the valuable equipment - some which carry up to 30,000 volts - Mr Bishop says he was told to put up a fluorescent sign to warn crooks they were 'in danger'.

He was told that the best sign to use would be a yellow sign with 'WARNING - ELECTRICAL TOOLS' written on it - and just in case the burglar didn't get the message - or couldn't read - he was also advised to add a 'lightning bolt' to indicate the danger.

Mr Bishop was also told the sign needed to be fluorescent as 'most burglaries happen in the dark'.

link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8333127/Police-use-a-sign-to-warn-burglars-about-expensive-tools.html

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

JanetO "What a funny responce"

I don't see what you mean by that, I'm afraid.

I simply opined that it was a 'usual' response, without much thought given to the consequences. I asked how many cases there have been of people being sued by burglars - deathly silence it seems!

How should the law be changed? Bear in mind that laws need to be drafted to cover many situations - do we need a special one for mesh or another for barbed wire? How many 'laws' would it take?

Most stories quoted tend to be apochryphal, hence the lack of evidence of actual cases of burglars suing.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Of course any reasonable jury would take that view - THAT is exactly why we don't need further laws, or people trying to muddy the waters with 'EU human rights' etc. Just silly, I'm afraid.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

reasonable precautions that do not amount to a trap may lawfully be taken to prevent trespass

I suppose the toe-rag could always argue that the shed was "an allurement"!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I often wonder why it is okay to put barbed wire or razor wire protective devices around prisons, young people institute, and perhaps some commercial properties, and at the same time tell the general public that very easy and seeable cemented glass on walls, or planks of wood with nails are illegal.

You can use rubber flexy pointy things though. Pure torture to the local cats or bird life!.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

A lot of these stories are total hot air, there's not a scrap of evidence to say that anyone has ever sued or been sued.

There's a similar story today saying that IT companies have massively overcharged for government IT equipment, with desktop PCs costing up to £3,500, this story has been published in a lot of press despite that fact that the government has admitted that they can't prove any of this. In all likelihood someone has found an invoice for a PC costing £3,500, which may be a high-end workstation or PowerMac that retails at this price, and assumed that they've been ripped off...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer