We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

12 months to the Olympics

Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Never mind Christmas, we need a year to get into the spirit of this. I've already started celebrating best I can, but have been upstaged by Tom Daley.

I'm bracing myself against the piano, and am preparing for sleepless nights with the worry of it all. I may have to turn to drink.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Has the worry subsided after a good nights sleep?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope someone is still 'winding up' that Olympic Countdown clock in Trafalgar Square.Just in case I'll do it again:-

"Call yourself an Olympic Countdown clock - should be ashamed of yourself!"

I am now putting computers to bed in a big sealed box....housework beckons. See you all in a week's time! Aitch.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You have to think what it is going to cost the uk to hold the Olympics here and whether we should have cancelled it or not.

The Government were not long cancelling other things especially from the armed forces as we could not afford them.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"You have to think what it is going to cost "

Will we ever know the true cost? So much is "booked" to other things - for example the council have a person costing £100ks to tell us we have games in 2012 multi that up by other councils.Then there is the "cost" of taking funds from small sports projects which would have done a lot of good at a local level.Would i be allowed to build on that "unclean" land? Then there are the people from some parts of the world - conversation at border next year"why are you here?" "the games" "when do you go back?" "laughter"!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

24 months until it will be discovered that there were gargantuan cost overruns that have been covered up.

36 months until it is admitted that there are no alternative uses for the bulk of the Stadia and that Greenwich Park has been destroyed and is going to be turned into an up-market housing estate with a block of Flats for the Filipino Domestic Staff.

48 months until the whole Olympic Site becomes derelict and the Army takes over security there.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Who said that I was moaning.

I do not need the Olympics to feel good about this Country of ours.

However I feel that it is a phenomenal waste of public money, which will certainly "NOT" persuade the general public to take up more a more active lifestyle, barring the few thousand people who are probably already fairly active anyway.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

fm I can see you're going to have to start your own pro-Olympic thread.

Only a year left to get it rolling...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Twelve months to the Olympics".

At least it will give a selected number of people a few months of enjoyment in either praising or 'moaning' about the forthcoming?.

Our local council have disposed of a number of sporting activities and local facilities, and are now 'moaning' that they have no funding or resources to provide for the youngsters or even oldsters, now or in the foreseeable future.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

It will be great, won't it FM. 4 weeks of sporting excellence. For how many £billion?

Never mind that Library's, sports clubs, sports tracks, swimming pools, day centres for the disabled, schools for austisc children, respite centres for disabled children, special schools, ad infinitum because we are broke.

But we will have 4 weeks

of watching the tele as we can not afford the bl**dy tickets to watch or for the train or accomadation in London.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

While I have sympathy with fm's feelings about British negativity, I do feel that the Olympics, like so much other sport, is now totally in thrall to the money men, and the goal (no pun intended), even if only in visitors and ticket sales, is entirely financial not human endeavour.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room