We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hospital Hygiene

interzone55

Likes # 0

I visited Furness General Hospital yesterday to collect my partner. Whilst waiting for her to be released I paid a visit to the gents.

On the wall is a sign "These facilities are inspected and cleaned daily"

McDonalds and Wetherspoons manage to clean their customer toilets hourly, but a hospital, where hygiene is really quite important in these MRSA aware days, they feel that daily is enough.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just for the record, I visit four hospitals regularly, three at least once in the last six months.

All have swing bins in publicly accessible areas, as does my local health centre.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Now I'm in trouble.

My wife just noticed I was deep in thought.

She asked me what I was thinking about, I replied swing bins and things seem to have gone downhill since then!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Hospital hygiene can come in all forms and titles, as can some of the medical instruments that are being used.

If contracted-out cleaning staff have a set job sheet to complete on their shift, they can only do that mainly due to time limitations. Its not their fault, but the administrator's who supply the instructions and the equipment to do the tasks required. Yet some of the staff doing these jobs, only seem to receive abuse from from the public and perhaps their line managers.

When I was in hospital after an operation, a rather large nurse knocked over a fan that was being used to 'cool me down'. The metal cover and the fan blades came adrift. The fan blade was covered in dust, but the nurse made no attempt to get the item cleaned, she simply assembled the item and left it at that. I was not even sure if she had made a later attempt at washing her hands.

With regards to instruments, there was an investigation program on television not all that long ago. Apparently there is only one hospital (based in the London area only) who as a 'quality control' technician, and he is the only one in the whole of the UK, who actually inspects new and old instruments like clamps, scissors, cutters etc for defects, which could lead to cleaning or usage problems. In this particular investigative program, it pointed out that instruments with Germany, France, UK printed on them as a point of manufacture, might have originally been produced and manufactured in Pakistan, possibly via a back yard mass produced process. You could even get Germany, France or UK printed on the items, if you so wanted. Germany printed on a instrument was regarding as the more superior product!.

Cutting costs also appears to cut standards?.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

it's not their fault if their customers are too bone idle to put their rubbish in a bin.t

I suppose in that litigeous nation across the pond Mac would be held liable for the clean-up bill on the ground that it was providing customers with material which they could throw away. Bit like selling toilet rolls to football fans!

Thoughts!!! Make the containers edible as well!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Over 40 years ago I worked in a meat products facory of a multinational. We had foot operated hand wash basins, changed our bacteriacide monthly to avoid bugs getting used to it, supervised hygine and hand washing in toilets with random petri dishes and a bugs lab, had bacteriacide hand gel, required 3 clear stool samples before retun to work after a tummy upset, and many other tests (sore throats tested for g staffs etc). All in all a far stricter regieme than I see in modern hospitals - staff wearing work clothes in street, doctors sometimes not wearing protecive clothing, hand operated taps, non auto door openings so you push on a plate where other hands have been. The point is I think our hospitals could learn a lot on hygeine from modern food factories.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mordwydd

As I pointed out earlier:-

"As for patient-accessible bins, they are certainly not going to be used for the disposal of "blood, vomit, faeces, urine, pus" - that kind of waste goes into special containers, and they aren't used by patients".

You inferred something different when you said that "It is almost impossible to put anything in a swing bin without it touching the lid In a hospital this could include items contaminated with blood, vomit, faeces, urine, pus, to say nothing of run of the mill infections."

In a public access area hospital staff will not dispose of bio-hazardous waste in swing bins. You're no more likely to be at risk of being contaminated by those substances in a hospital than you are in any other public building.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"You're no more likely to be at risk of being contaminated by those substances in a hospital than you are in any other public building."

Exactly so.

Their hygiene is no better than anybody else's, and it should be.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Their hygiene is no better than anybody else's, and it should be.

Frankly, that's rubbish (no pun intended).

Surely the point here is that you're saying that publicly accessible waste bins in a hospital contain "items contaminated with blood, vomit, faeces, urine, pus,"

And I'm pointing out that there's absolutely no foundation for saying so, just because the bins are in a hospital. You've inventing a scare story that has no validity. I invite you to explain why these bins are likely to be contaminated in the way that you claim. Simply inferring that it will be so because they're in a hospital is not a justification. Claiming that "Their hygiene is no better than anybody else's" is also a fiction, because you have nothing on which to base such an allegation.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"you have nothing on which to base such an allegation."

Yes I do - my own observations.

You, and others, say that such bins are not used for clinical waste in patient accessible areas, I say they are.

I cannot prove it, other than by taking a photograph and publishing it, just as you cannot prove I am a liar, or that I was incompetent in identifying such malpractices when it was still my job.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sorry, posted too soon.

What reason could I possibly have for making such a claim if it were not true?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia