We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hospital Hygiene

interzone55

Likes # 0

I visited Furness General Hospital yesterday to collect my partner. Whilst waiting for her to be released I paid a visit to the gents.

On the wall is a sign "These facilities are inspected and cleaned daily"

McDonalds and Wetherspoons manage to clean their customer toilets hourly, but a hospital, where hygiene is really quite important in these MRSA aware days, they feel that daily is enough.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I really cannot imagine that such places clean their toilets every hour; inspect yes, clean no!.

My late father knew a lady that cleaned the local Beefeater; she only worked mornings, and no one was available after that.

My wife used to work in a local General hospital. With all the cut backs cleaning was way down the list of priorities.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

anchor

I know from experience that McDonalds staff inspect the toilets every hour, and clean & replenish when required. Wetherspoons do the same, and the branches I visit usually have immaculate facilities.

McDonalds are also now lending their staff to town centres to clean the streets - I know much of the rubbish is McDonalds wrappers, but it's not their fault if their customers are too bone idle to put their rubbish in a bin.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

After a few hospital stays over the last few months I was quite impressed with standard of cleanliness but it will vary from hospital to hospital . Our hospital seemed to have a system in place to clean and check at regular times plus a team on call if needed .

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

when mum was in hospital I arrived a little bit too early for visiting time one day. I sat down to wait just inside the main entrance to the ward, near the loo. Along came a cleaner, and when she left the toilet was spotless. After visiting time was over I was going to the loo before I went home. I took one look at the mess and didn't bother. I would say I was there for about 3 hours, goodness knows who caused the mess.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm afraid I will never have much of a regard for hospital hygiene while I still see them using swing bins.

It is almost impossible to put anything in a swing bin without it touching the lid

In a hospital this could include items contaminated with blood, vomit, faeces, urine, pus, to say nothing of run of the mill infections.

It is also nigh on impossible to put anything into a swing bin without touching the lid, thereby contaminating yourself with blood, vomit faeces etc.

Next time you put a paper towel into a swing bin in a toilet, register whether you touch the lid or not.

Then ask yourself did the last guy have aids, or hep. b/c, or even just common old e coli or Campylobacter.

If I had my way swing bins would b banned almost everywhere, as they were in my six campuses when I was still in health and safety, yet I still see them in use every time I visit a hospital (two or three times a month on average)

Rant over!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Swing bins - I am always on the lookout for swing bins that have been thrown out by my neighbours - the bigger the better - they can be used as water butts for the garden.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Pretty much every hospital I've visited (and it's a few, my ex-wife had Ulcerative Colitis and Lupus) has had foot operated bins for waste and buckets with slots in for sharps

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Alan 14

My experience was much the same as yours sharp bins in bright yellow, contaminated waste bins with pedal operated lids and general waste bins this was certainly the case on the wards . Beds were steamed cleaned for new patients but it may depends on the hospital

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I don't know which hospital you're visiting, but I'm amazed to hear that it still uses swing bins. They went out of use years ago in most hospitals, and were replaced with the type described by Alan 14 and John 52 - all pedal operated.

As for patient-accessible bins, they are certainly not going to be used for the disposal of "blood, vomit, faeces, urine, pus" - that kind of waste goes into special containers, and they aren't used by patients.

You are far more likely to come into contact with those substances when travelling on public transport, or when using toilets in public buildings. One of the reasons I always keep a small container of surgical scrub fluid in my laptop bag is that I use all kinds of keyboards in clients' premises. Computer keyboards are likely to be crawling with bacteria.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Yes, I agree with FE - keyboards are noted for being disgustingly, but invisibly' dirty and far from germ-free.

Regarding the pedal-operated bins, I'm forever trying to work out how 'patient-friendly' they are

I never did manage to operate the pedal to open the bin in the loo when, as a patient, I had my leg in plaster and was non-weight bearing. If I had crutches, yes, use one of them. However, because of shoulder injury too, I had to manage a Zimmer frame!! And you can't lift the lid with your fingers!!!! (not that I'd want to do that either)

Also, how on earth were the more frail folks supposed to work out how to open the bin, let alone manage to stand on one leg to operate it?

Yes, I've certainly seen some antics during my time in the wards!!! Some have been hilarious ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...