We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC and the Olympics

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Full live broadcast of "Breakfast" from the Olympic site this morning.

If they're chucking money, facilities, satellite time and air time away like this with a year to go, heaven knows what it will be like when the games actually start!

At least with Sky you can elect not to actually watch the sports channels.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I wonder if this tread will get the deviation of the month award?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Better to let them be demolished and other things be built in their place than to let them rot like many Olympic venues in other countries.

The swimming pool will stay, but the bulk of the seating removed, the main athletics stadium will become the home ground for either West Ham or Spurs, still not been finally decided. The Velodrome will remain so that we will have two first class cycling venues in the country.

I've absolutely no idea what you mean about the athletes' accommodation not being fit for human habitation, it's not been finished yet - or maybe you mean like the accommodation for last year's Commonwealth games in India, which were in an appalling state only a fortnight before the games began

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11379020

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

FE. The so called temp buildings are a bit more than you see at the venues you mention and cost a LOT more.And at the sites you state the people who attend pay for the temp buildings - they have a choice - the 2012 is paid by us if we like it or not.

ALAN

Athlete Village - just one quote - there are many - "with the conversion to residential units (Legacy mode) programmed from Mar '13 to Mar '14. " A billion pounds was mentioned! "Better to let them be demolished " better still IF the games are to do with sports - let them be held at say OLYMPIA with the new host (4yrs) paying for the up to date renovation instead of the waste etc that currently takes place.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

woody

that's somewhat different to them not being suitable for human habitation, presently the design of the athlete accommodation is much along the lines of a travelodge or premier inn, suitable only for temporary living with no cooking facilities and little storage space for clothing.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

FM Sorry about FE above. " But that does not alter the fact that they were designed to be temporary and the budget included the cost of remodelling them for the legacy use." I think you will find the "Budget" was miles away from the real cost.(Bid doc shows main stadium cost circa £245M - estimated real world cost £1Billion) You will have seen there are two bids for the main venue - one wants it IF the tax payer pays a nice sum each year - is that code for "pay me to take it?" Remodelling was to be met from other incomes,(which have not materialised) ,not the budget - to much to go into here . A few venues were always due to be demolished - not remodelled (the stands you first mentioned are taken down and used else ware like renting a car) but there are now additional venues to be demolished - i use the word because they are due to go to land fill! I understand local councils have been asked if they would like the "scrap" but as far as i know - no takers - think of the cost to take down ,transport and rebuild. That "beach" idea does not have much value as far as i can see.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Woody

I don't know where you got your Stadium price from.

The cost was £486 million about 10 million under the original estimate. Click here

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Well I certainly seem to have touched on some raw nerves here!

I was not commenting on the Olympics, or the venues, or the state of readiness thereof.

I was simply questioning the financial wisdom of sending a full live OB team out at 6.00 am for a three hour programme, all on overtime and all on breakfast expenses, to broadcast from the Olympic site a full twelve months before the contest starts.

I would have welcomed a half hour, or even an hour, programme on "the story so far" and "how are we doing", I just don't think a live three hour link was justified (yes, I know the full programme didn't come from there, but the team was there).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's interesting, it really is.

When it was announced that the Olympics were to be held in London there was a surge of comments from glass half empty people, along the lines of 'we'll fail to complete the site on time, the budget for the stadium will spiral out of control, and we'll generally make a complete mess of things'

Now, here we are, with a stadium and other facilities complete and ready to go a year ahead of time, and under budget; huge numbers of ticket sales, a year before the games are due, and still people find something to moan about.

And we wonder why other countries are pulling themselves out of recession faster than we are.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

How do you know the whole team is on overtime & expenses?

As they're working for the breakfast show I would imagine it's their normal working hours.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

They also seem to have been broadcasting on and off all day. I've enjoyed watching what they have been showing and if it practising for the big occasion. Why not? I must say though, that I was not turned on by the synchronised drowning preview. And I have spent half of my life in the swimming world.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'