We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC and the Olympics

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Full live broadcast of "Breakfast" from the Olympic site this morning.

If they're chucking money, facilities, satellite time and air time away like this with a year to go, heaven knows what it will be like when the games actually start!

At least with Sky you can elect not to actually watch the sports channels.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think it's more accurate to say with Sky that you elect to not to pay.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

You can elect not to pay with the BBC too, or are you suggesting it is free?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Even more accurately, you elect to not to pay even more, assuming that that we all have a TV anyway, and yes, I know there is going to be a Luddite forum member that'll post to say that they don't have a TV at all...

My post was mainly a snipe at Sky that won't offer any kind of selective purchase option to non footie fans on their sports packages. I'll never subscribe to Sky Sports at around £40 a month for a package that's aimed at football addicts for a few hours cricket a week during the UK test match season. Test cricket is the only sport exclusive to Sky that interests me enough to pay, but not £40 a month on a lengthy tied in contract!

I read in the paper this morning that they have 10 million subscribers, they could have a few million more with part time subscribers who, like me, will never pay for the full monty package to watch less than 10% of the available programming.

Anti Sky rant over...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well put fm.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

David Coleman comentating on the great Cuban 400m runner...Alberto Juantorino..he just has to open his legs to show his class...quite remarkable! (very very). I am not looking forward to the motely crew of BBC commentators, who's names will not pass my lips here.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

It was Ron Pickering who said that.

The term Colemanballs, from Private Eye, is used to describe any commentating fau pas

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The Olympics, despite the title London Olympics, is a national event, there would complaints from all corners if there wasn't coverage of the build up. The BBC also needs to flex its broadcasting muscle to ensure that the games are kept as a priority and not shuttled off to Sky where we would all be forced to pay £40 a month for the privilege of watching them

As fourm member quite rightly points out, everything now points at the games being a success, and a sign that we can indeed plan and run very large projects, just as Manchester proved with the 2002 Commonwealth Games, which left a lasting impression on a previously run down area of Manchester, with 2 amazing arenas, the Etihad (neé City of Manchester) Stadium and the Velodrome which has lead to a resurgence in cycling in this country.

The delays with "new" Wembley and the Millennium Dome are almost certainly down to political interference and changing specs during the build process.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Yes its wonderful. Is it true some of the games are illegal in this country? Is it true a lot of the venues will be demolished after a few weeks use? Is it true most jobs went to NON British people? The "village" built for something other than humans - how else do you explain it needs £Millions spent to make it habitable by humans after the event?And how much was/is the sweetener to encourage some one to take it on?

But the one i like best is the sailing venue - tax payers money to provide it - then tax payers money to build a wall to stop them watching!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Can Lord Coe be made a Knight?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Lord Coe is only Lord Coe because he was a rubbish MP but he knew the right people who could keep him in power.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more